Chapter 11

"You called Evelyn!" I entered her office with a sullen face. Even a week after returning to work, things with Evelyn were pretty tense. She would ignore and avoid any conversation with me as much as possible, to the extent that she didn't even ask about the bruises on my face like the rest, to whom I have told were the result of a careless accident. She would deliver her messages mostly through other people. She wouldn't even talk to me in the form of scolding me if I was late on a deadline. So I was surprised when Sarah told me that Evelyn wanted to talk to me directly without any messenger.

"Yes, Jade." she got up and walked around her desk to stand in front of me. "I am tired of this cat and mouse game that we are playing. I just want to go back to being us."

I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows at her.

"What I mean is..." her face flushed a little. "I am sorry for being a bitch to you! We do have our regular petty fights but what I did this time was way out of line. You had nearly died then and you nearly died again and I was so obsessed with my job that I..." she was babbling.

"I understand Eve." I rolled my eyes.

Her eyes widened. "You do?"

"Yes, I know being a bitch comes to you naturally." I smirked.

She playfully glared at me but then chuckled. "So you forgive me?"

I sighed and nodded my head. "I do."

It was of no use to stay angry at Evelyn for something I know isn't going to change about her. She has always been a little self-centered and preoccupied with stuff that can always be advantageous to her, having little to no regard for people around her. I was used to her tantrums, her bitchiness and her constant efforts for acclamation. So I shouldn't be surprised at the lengths she can go to benefit herself. It was really no point to be so anti-Evelyn when Evelyn was just being Evelyn.

She looked relieved. "But please let me make it up to you!"

"How?" I asked confused.

"Come with me to the club tomorrow. I will treat you to some drinks, just like old times."

I was conflicted. "I don't know..." I trailed off.

She pleaded me with her eyes. "Please, it will make me feel much better. I will know for sure that you have forgiven me."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "Okay."

She squealed and then quickly composed herself when the noise got too loud and I had to cover my ears. She was in her boss mode again. "Hurry up Reyes and get back to work." She dismissed me and went back to her desk. I shook my head at her.

******

Wearing a simple black halter dress, I was ready for the club. I did not want to prettify myself because frankly speaking, I wasn't in the mood. Evelyn was supposed to pick me up because she said everything tonight would be on her, including the gas. So I wasn't allowed to drive on my own. I heard the car horn outside and rushed downstairs after giving myself a final look. Opening the door, I was greeted with the rush of cool air and shivered. For the past week I have been cooped up at home so it felt good to plan to go somewhere other than work in a while, I would have just preferred some place other than a club to break out of my self-confinement.

I saw the SUV parked at a distance from the house when I was walking towards Evelyn's car. Saverio waved at me as a sign to tell me that he will follow. I sighed because the only person that came to my mind because of this was Emanuele. I haven't seen him in a week. He wouldn't come to see me, wouldn't answer my calls but he continues to put his eyes on me through his men. And although the gesture was supposed to be sweet, it pissed me off.