Chapter 3

"How are you Jade Reyes?" he asked with a sneer on his face and put his hand on the door to prevent me from closing it.

I felt the first tremors of nervousness or was it fear?

I swallowed and resisted the urge to sprint at the threatening glare on his face. He still looked beautiful nonetheless. What are you thinking Jade!

"Or is your name Amanda Ray, because that is the name you provided at the reception when you booked your room right?" he took a few steps towards me as I took a few back. This continued till we were almost at the kitchen entrance.

My eyes were wide as I stared at him. How did he know my name? I was careful as not to reveal my true identity to him or any of his staff at the hotel/casino.

"Listen...I..."

"What?" he spat at me.

"How...did you find me?" I stuttered, keeping my hands in front of me as a sign of surrender. I could see the gun he had hidden in the holster of the waistbands of his pants and it freaked me out.

"You don't ask a question in return to mine, sono stato chiaro?" he said sharply.

Although I didn't understand what he said in Italian, I still nodded my head.

"Now sit!" he pointed to the chair at the counter. I realized we were fully in the kitchen now. I looked at him conflicted but his one glare made me yield. I know he wouldn't hesitate to pull out his gun on me, now that he knows I lied to him. Damn! My plan failed. He wasn't supposed to know the real me. I was supposed to introduce myself to him as Amanda Ray. My brain wasn't even cooperating with me for a backup plan. I was close to panicking now!

I wriggled my fingers in front of me with my head lowered. I could still feel his eyes on my head though. He stood there in his tan suit in all his glory, staring daggers at me, observing me.

From my peripheral vision, I saw his hand was near the holster on his waistband, he was in a fighting stance and I didn't even have any weapon to protect myself with. God I was screwed!

"Now tell me, who are you?" there was an edge in his tone.

"I...Um... Jade Reyes!" I lifted my face towards him but his scowl made me lower my head again.

"I know that!" his fists clenched. "But why did you lie? Wrong name, wrong phone number..." he shook his head amazed. "How did you even manage that?"

I stilled. I could not tell him that. Lane was the one who helped me with the reservation. He had made me a fake id card so I could get in without any trouble. I could not tell him that the lieutenant of Tampa PD was helping me to get him busted, now could I?

"I...I..."

"Tell me or I will blow your brains out right now!" he took a step towards me threateningly.

I almost bolted out of my seat but managed to stay glued. "I am a reporter!"

He growled in aggravation. His eyes appeared even darker. "I know that too!"

My head snapped towards him. "If you know everything, what do you want me to say?"

He slammed his fist at my counter in rage. I flinched. "Don't talk to me like that inteso?"

I nodded again.

"Now tell me who do your work for?"

"For Tampa Tribune!"

He stared at me confused. "Is that a new gang?"

"What?" I chuckled at the adorable expression on his face. "No, the newspaper."