Chapter Five

The following week found Simon and Elizabeth found themselves standing on the front steps of Bridgerton's house. The door was opened almost immediately by the Bridgerton butler. The butler, a tall thin man with a hawkish nose took one look at the two before murmuring "Right this way, your grace and Miss Priestley"

They then were shown into the Bridgerton's drawing room. Daphne, a vision in ice-blue silk the opposite to Elizabeth's deep navy gown.  It would have been a welcomed sight were it not for a certain Viscount sat beside her on the edge of Lady Bridgerton's green damask sofa, his face decorated with an arrogant smile.

"Your grace! Miss Priestly!" Lady Bridgerton stepped into their path smiling with a brightness that could rival Daphne's. "What a pleasure it is to see you and that you were able to join us for dinner, come the rest are gathered in the dining room already"

"Hastings! It is so good for you to join us." Anthony exclaimed slapping the back of Simon in a playful manner. "Miss Priestly, May I escort you to the dining room?" he asked taking her gloved hand and kissing it.

Elizabeth tried her best not to make a face as he pulled her arm under his and began to make their way to the dining room.

"I have taken the liberty to wear thicker boots tonight" he mused.

"Challenge accepted my lord" she glared before taking her seat.

Soon Elizbeth and Simon were surrounded by all eight Bridgerton siblings and Lady Bridgerton herself. After a brief introduction, Elizabeth found herself sandwiched between Eloise, the second eldest daughter and Anthony. While Simon sat between the Viscountess and Daphne.

A little while later into dinner laughter and conversation flowed.

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury of all places" Anthony counted.

"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury?" Benedict laughed. "People there actually work for a living"

"She does seem to be someone with access." Daphne commented.

"Who knows if Whistledown is even she?" Collin returned taking a big bite from his potato. "Fair pint brother" Anthony agreed.

"Because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man" Eloise exclaimed with such passion Elizabeth nearly knocked her glass.

"Well, I think it is rather obvious who Lady Whistledown is?" Francesca announced. "Lady Danbury"

Simon tried his best to hide that he had choked his wine from surprise while Elizabeth rolled her head back in laughter. "My aunt quite enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down."  She smirks.

"Could it be Lady Featherington?" Hyacinth theorised.

"No!" The whole table responded in a mix of laughter.

"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, dear Hyacinth" Lady Bridgerton smiled. "You must forgive this rather unruly debate your grace." she turned to Simon in hushed tones.

"Nonsense, I find it quite entertaining." he smiled back. "All of you, one table. Even the children"

"I realise it is unfashionable but we rather like each other"

Across the table an hour or so later after dinner had been cleared Elizabeth turns fully away from Anthony to speak to Elouise on her left. "Miss Bridgerton, I had the pleasure of meeting Penelope at my aunt's ball, and she mentioned you are currently struggling to find a copy of Aristotle?"

"Yes! We have begun to explore philosophy last month and I have become rather obsessed with it." Elouise shuffled in her seat to face Elizabeth. "You see, once I have a topic in mind, I must find out as much as I can, or I will not be satisfied!"

"Ah well in that case you are in luck!" Elizabeth clapped her hands together. "For I have a copy that I would be delighted to lend you, only if you don't mind my ramblings. It is a personal copy, so I have annotated the book"

"Oh really!"

"Of course, I shall arrange for someone to bring the book over if wish?"

"Well, I counter your offer and ask that you must return soon for tea so you may bring the book and we can theorise together!" she leans in closer to Elizabeth "I feel as if we may become fast friends"

Anthony had reached his point of patience with Elizabeth who had all but cut off the left side of the table leaving him with Gregory the youngest to converse with, who at this moment had been playing with his peas.

"You read Miss Priestly? I would never have guessed." he resorted loud enough to make Elizabeth turn her attention to him.

"Yes well, My lord, us half-witted debutantes only stare at the pretty pictures. God forbid we better our minds and learn a thing or two." She turned her body to fully face the viscount and smoothed out her dress with disinterest.

"Heaven forbid she may even learn that a man is her equal" she quipped before raising her leg under the table and slamming down extra hard onto Anthony's foot.

His so-called thick boots did not save him from the quick sharp pain from her heels and pulled out from his chair only to knock his knee in the process. "Bloody hell" he shouted loud enough for the whole room to react.

"ANTHONY!" His mother shouted and Elizabeth smirked.

He sat coughed standing up straight, looking at his mother then back to Elizabeth then back again to his mother. Deciding not to the stratification to Elizabeth he coughed once more to recover. "Apologises Mother, if you may excuse me but I have urgent business to attend to."

And with that left the room.

"Fast friends indeed" Elouise giggled and muttered under her breath to Elizabeth seeming as the only other person to witness the events that had just folded.