Chapter Twenty-Six

Elizabeth had thought of that night at Simon and Daphne's Ball. Perhaps too much thought. She cannot deny her feelings for the Viscount anymore but had concluded there had no real proof to show that he disproved her instant conclusion of the man from the very first night they had met. 

No. She decided he was still through and through a Rake! 

And yet she found herself imprisoned by the very thought of him. Thoughts of what he may be doing at that very moment? Why he had not proposed almost immediately after? Would he ever write to her? She laughed at that last one. It had been weeks since the ball and since she had left London. And yet no letters. 

"Lizzie! Shall we have tea in the garden? Oh, it's a lovely day!" Lydia pulled her from her daze. 

Elizabeth had ventured to her elder sister's estate in the country soon after the season. She had hoped to keep Lydia company while her brother-in-law was away. "Fine idea indeed!" 

The pair bathed in the August sun, Silence engulfing the pair. Lydia signed in frustration, it had been a very long three weeks, she had been so excited for her little sister to visit but Elizabeth had barely uttered a word. "Right! This has to stop, now." She exclaimed jumping to her feet. 

Lizzie looked up at her sister in confusion and laughed at her sister's serious expression. "Lydia?" 

"Don't laugh! This is serious, I am being serious." She crossed her arms in a childlike manner that made Lizzie laugh even more. The only time she had seen her sister serious was when she decided to marry Lord Green and their Father's death. 

"You need to be serious! I am pulling the big sister card" She huffed. 

"What is it?" Lizzie coughed out. 

"You will tell me what happened in London that has turned you into a bloody airhead. You have hardly spoken since returning from London - i was expecting grand stories!" 

Lizzie laughed some more at her sister's swearing. 

"There is nothing to say. It was a boring season."  She shrugged getting comfortable in her chair once more.

Lydia jumped up and ran inside leaving Elizabeth to enjoy the sun alone, she closed her eyes and allowed to sun to warm her face. She knew it was unbecoming to be out in the sun but she enjoyed the feeling too much to care what society would think. 

After some time she was rudely disturbed by parchment paper landing on her face. "What the-" She sat up to look at her sister who had returned and was sat back down beside her. 

She looked at the papers and instantly recognised the words. Lady Whistledown. 

"Did you truly think I would not keep an eye out for you on your first season out? I may have not been able to join you but I certainly kept tabs. Aunt Agatha Kept me well informed too." 

Elizabeth shuffled in her seat. "I know Aunt Agatha is very skilled in knowing what is happening around her at all times, but I feel as if there is more she is not aware of. So spill. Now" 

"There is nothing to spill that you have not heard from Whistledown or our Aunt."

"Oh really?" She narrowed her eyes. "The Prince? The viscount?" 

"Old news" Elizabeth averted her eyes. 

"Well. Okay then" She stood. "I have invited Simon and his new wife to dine with us tonight. Seeing as the Hasting estate is not too far away and their honeymoon is over. Perhaps I will find out more from them." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A toast! To the happy couple, May your marriage be long-lasting." Lydia raised her cup to the group to toast.  

"Lady Green, I can't thank you enough for inviting us to your wonderful home." Daphne smiled across the dining table. 

"Please, Call me Lydia. You are practically family now. Isn't that right Lizzie?" Lydia nudged her. 

"Yes! Of course, you are basically a sister to me" Elizabeth smiled grabbing Daphne's hands. 

"So, tell me what really happened this season? I've been frightfully bored with this pregnancy and Lady whistledown stopped writing about our dear Lizzie after a few weeks. You should have seen my face when I read that she was courting a Prince!" 

Elizabeth sank into her seat, hoping it would swallow her whole. "It was hardly courting, Lydie" 

"She is being modest, The prince was no doubt courting her!" Daphne chimed in. 

"Ah yes, Right before you swooped in dearest." Simon teased. "I had to fight to win your attention" 

"Would hardly call it a fight at all" Lizzie mumbled earning a playful kick under the table from the Duke. 

"Elizabeth was much more occupied with a certain Viscount." He continued with a smirk. "I have a bet with Daphne as to when they will marry." 

"I thought you were opposed to the idea!" Lizzie angrily whispered to Simon beside her. 

"I changed my mind" He shrugged before taking a sip. 

"Ah, so there is more to the viscount! I knew it!" Lydia screamed in excitement. "Oh do tell me more, Elizabeth has been tight-lipped" 

"There is nothing to tell, He vexed me for a full season. I couldn't care at all if I should see him again. He is a bore."

Simon and Daphne both watched as the two sisters argued back and forth. Simon had missed the Preistleys. Lydia may have been the elder sister of the two, but she would argue and vex Elizabeth as if she were the youngest. She knew all the right buttons to push to induce Elizabeth to completely lose her composure until a pudding or a drink would end up being thrown across the room. 

"LYDIE WILL YOU DROP THE SUBJECT! THERE IS NOTHING TO KNOW" Elizabeth threw her pea at her sister's face. 

"It is like I am back home." Daphne laughed in disbelief. 

"Sorry" Elizabeth Blushed remembering she and her sister were not alone. "We are not always like this." 

Simon laughed, which earned him a glare. "Yes. They are"

"No, No. It is fine, It's nice to know you are the same with your sister as I am with mine. Though when all four of us get going it's a scary sight!" Daphne laughed. 

"Ghastly indeed! Anyway, Lydia do care to share our news with Lizzie or shall I?"Simon smiled. 

Elizabeth looked around the table confused.

"Well, seeing as you have no issues or care about the viscount. I'm sure you won't mind joining Simon and Daphne to visit Aubry Hall next week. I would have loved to join but I cannot" Lydia gestured to her swell belly. 

"I couldn't possibly leave you Lydie" Elizabeth turned concerned to her sister. "You will be alone. Lord Green isn't home yet" 

"I will be fine, He is due back the day after you leave. And you will only be a week or two, enough time to come back for the arrival of the baby."

Elizabeth looked at Simon and Daphne. Going to Aubry Hall meant seeing Anthony Bridgerton. She had not seen the viscount since the ball, she had not spoken to him since that kiss. How was she to face the man who held the power to ruin her? He clearly had no intentions of marrying her. He had got his prize and had given up his silly pursuit of her. 

"But-" She was lost for words. She had no reasonable excuse. She sighed, "Fine, only if you promise to write" 

Her sister nodded. 

"Then it's settled. The three of us shall head off on our journey in 4 days. I can't wait for you to see our country seat" Daphne beamed. 

Help me, Elizabeth thought.