Chapter twenty

It had been a week since Elizabeth attended the Bridgerton garden party, and the news of Colin Bridgerton and Marina Thompson's engagement was announced. She was eager to catch up with Penelope who more than ever seemed to have low spirits. As such she found herself sitting in the Featherington's drawing room with Marina, Penelope, and her sisters.

Elizabeth had not spoken to Penelope's older sisters often, but they seemed nice enough to her. Prudence the oldest was very similar to their mother; lady Featherington. Lady Whistledown herself had described her to have not one nice bone in her body - though never she, nor her mother, would ever admit it. And even so, she did feel some sympathy for the eldest Featherington sister who was currently in her third season and had yet to receive a single proposal. She knew her own views on marriage and being 'put on the shelf' by London's society was a luxury that most eligible women could not hold.

"Do you think Colin will introduce us to his friends?" Philippa asked Marina sweetly. Philippa, the middle Featherington sister, who was not exactly known for her smarts or cleverness. She's merely focused on one thing: finding herself a husband. She had entered her second season and was still hopeful for a match. "Some of them are quite strapping"

"I'm sure he will." Marina smugly sipped her tea.

Elizabeth did not like her mannerism. She felt Miss Thompson was not acting like a woman in love but as if she had won the best prize at the village fate. But then who was she to determine what love looked like in a person? Lord knows she had yet to experience it.

"Not that I feel you will need my help Miss Priestly" Marina commented pulling Elizabeth from her thoughts.

"Oh really? And why's that?" Elizabeth smiled taking a sip of her tea.

"What I mean to say is that I would not be surprised if we become sisters-in-law in the near future of course!" Elizabeth tried to not choke on her tea.

"Now you really have lost me"

"You and The Viscount. Of course!" Elizabeth laughed.

"You are a comedian Miss Thompson. Where on earth did you come to this conclusion?"

"Why from my dearest Colin, he thinks you two will be married by the year is up" She smiled sweetly.

"Dearest Colin" Penelope mocked quietly but not enough that Elizabeth did hear.

"Marina my dear, we must be off. Time for the Modiste" Lady Featherington announced popping her head around the corner before she could ask her to elaborate.

"Pen, Would you like to take a walk with me?" She announced hoping to spend some time with her friend away from her older sisters. Penelope agreed and the pair decided to walk into the Featherington Gardens.

Elizabeth was happy to finally catch up with her friend and find out what was bothering her. She had a feeling this had more than just her and Elouise not speaking. "What was that comment about? Back in the drawing room"

"Mhh?" Penelope grumbled and sunk to the stone bench that lined the garden path.

"You know you can tell me pen." Lizzie joined her on the bench. "Your secrets are safe with me, you're my friend?"

"Of course, I know that" She sighed and began to pull at a bright yellow loose thread on her dress.

"So?" Lizzie pushed. "What is it? Do you not approve of Colin?"

Lizzie had always thought the pair were friends, from Penelope's previous stories she had always spoken of Colin in warm affection. Truth be told she had thought once not long ago that the pair would be well suited if Colin was not already spoken for.