Chapter fifteen

Hello Guys!!

Thank you so much for the lovely words and all the new readers! I am truly in awe of you all <3

You have been very patient with me and I'd like to apologise for the delay. It is a personal pet peeve when a story is not updated frequently so I will be trying my best to remedy this! haha

Enjoy!!! ________________________________________________________________________________

It was impossible for Elizabeth to sleep, of course. Between the events of the garden and the impending duel, she had not slept a wink. Her skin still burned from Anthony's touch and his words played on repeat in her mind.

I have every intention to make you mine... So, I will wait till you feel the same...

And you will.

"I will never feel the same" she thought shaking her head. It was almost comical to her, Elizabeth Priestley married. To the viscount! To Anthony Bridgerton. No, she may not be able to control her body's response to the rake, but she could sure as hell control and protect her heart. Though one small question was left to be answered in her mind; if Elizabeth's feelings towards the viscount had indeed not changed then why did she run into the garden upset?

Why did the mere idea of him with another send her running?

With all these unanswered questions she needed answered, some she was too scared to answer herself. And you will. There was one thing crystal clear in her mind, she must stop this duel.

She continued pacing the bedroom floor with confidence as she tried to compile a plan of action in her head. How was she to stop the duel when Elizabeth had no idea where this wretched affair would take place? As the thought dawned on her, Elizabeth stopped in her tracks and fell onto her bed in defeat. She could feel every ounce of her newly brave persona bleed away and leave only disappointment and dread. Dread that she would wake up to the news that her best friend will be dead, or heavens bid he wins in prison.

She may wake up to hear that the viscount was dead. Forever gone...

A single traitorous tear threatened to fall as she closed her eyes in defeat.  Slowly falling asleep until a small tap on her bedroom window jolted her alert.  It tapped again, and then another.

Elizabeth ran to the window pushing the window latch free so that she can peak out. Her heart began to race, was Anthony back to advise her the duel was off! That both him and Simon talked it out and had come to an agreement? She looked across the front garden of her aunt's house searching for the viscount only to greeted by his sister. Daphne Bridgeton.

"Get dressed Lizzie!! We need your help" Daphne half whispered, and half shouted.

Elizabeth had never changed so quickly in her life, she pulled on her dress from the ball not wanting to disturb her maid for assistance with a new outfit. Elizabeth balanced herself as she pulled her riding boots with one hand while writing a note to her maid in the other. Not knowing how long she will be she wrote a message conveying that she had stayed at the Bridgeton house with Daphne and to cover her if her aunt was to enquire of her whereabouts.

"Daphne what's this all about?" Elizabeth whispered as she met her at the front of her aunt's house.

"Look, I've got to stop this before it goes any further" Daphne shook her head before grabbing Elizabeth's arm and pulling her to main road where Colin stood with three horses all ready and saddled.

"Colin?!"'She whispered trying to keep up Daphne.

Collin opened his mouth to speak when his sister cut him off, " look there is no time for this, okay? Hop on Elizabeth. I have forced Colin to show me the location before it's too late"

The trio all mounted their horses and began their journey, Lizzie was still in a state of confusion as they rode through the quite streets of London.

"Why do you need me to help stop this?"

"My thinking is that is that I will speak to my brother while you talk to Simon. He sees you as a sister, he must listen to you"

Elizabeth bitterly laughed.

"I'm afraid I'll be no use to you then. I have tried and failed. He will not listen to reason" she shook her head.

Daphne just looked ahead in determination. "It's worth a try"

"I'm sure if Elizabeth spoke to Anthony, she will be able to convince him" Collin joked quietly but not quietly enough for Elizabeth to not hear.

She shot the Bridgeton brother a glare.

The trio soon reached the clearing just as dawn was approaching. Elizabeth's heart raced as she saw the figures of the two men back-to-back at the beginning of the duel. She looked over at Colin and then to Daphne, both with a serious look before kicking her feet in to race on as fast as she could.

"Elizabeth be careful!" Collin called out as he tried to keep up.

She had reached the party and rode past Benedict and Will who stood idly by as the viscount and Duke took another step away, then just as Elizabeth reached the pair and pulled her reigns the pair turned around.

Anthony who had been counting his steps and saying his prayers had not yet registered the incoming presence of Elizabeth or his brother and sister closely behind. He had turned around and pulled his gun towards the duke, his best friend. Praying once more to God he pulled on the trigger just as Elizabeth's horse came into the firing lines, the sharp sound of gunfire instantly spooking her horse she is propelled off her horse and landing on the ground face first.

Elizabeth head upon impact to the ground goes numb as she is knocked out from the fall.

"ELIZABETH!" He panics dropping his now empty pistol to the ground before running towards the lifeless Elizabeth.

"Elizabeth!" Simon calls in distress running.

Anthony falls to ground on his knees and takes the girl into his arms to turn her around, her face looked peaceful as if she was sleeping, the only evidence of her fall was from the small the drip of blood from her hair line.

"Dr Hughes! Come quick!" He bellowed at the doctor they assigned for the duel. The stubby man ran to Elizabeth side, Anthony continued to hold her in his arms as the doctor conducted his business.

Simon frown at his behaviour but chose that right now was not the time bring up Anthony's lack of propriety.

"She is knocked out, there is no real concern though she may wake with a concussion so will need to be monitored closely"

"I will take her back to Hastings's house" Simon declared after a few beats of silence.

"You certainly will not!" Anthony barked finally looking up from Elizabeth.

"Yes, I will! I -" Simon step forward raising his voice.

"Enough! The two of you are acting like children. She cannot go to Hasting house Simon, it is right in the middle of governess square"

"She is right, we would have to explain why we are here and what happened" Will counted. "Whistledown will get wind and ruin her"

Simon remains silent. " I will accompany her to Anthony's Bachelor lodging away from the prying eyes of Ton. I will never leave her side"

He nodded.

"Okay now that is in order, I must speak to the duke alone." She announced pulling the duke away from the party.

Anthony was too concern for Elizabeth's well-being to care.

Sometime had passed and the doctor had patched her cut. Daphne and Simon returned to the party.

" I have not forgotten Hastings. I still demand satisfaction." Anthony warned looking up once more.

"There is no need brother for the duke, and I are to be wed"