Chapter Ten

Anthony had been in his study, having a solitary drink after an evening of working over the estate affairs; something that he would usually put off but after agreeing to take a step back from his duties with Daphne's season he found he had an abundance of free time. Previously he would find himself seeking the company of a certain opera singer, Siena Russo. The pair had frequently enjoyed pleasant intercludes over the past few months, but this had more recently become common knowledge in the ton (Thanks to Lady Whistledown). Anthony certainly missed the comforts of Siena but that is all, he knew for the good of family's reputation he must end things.

In an aid of privacy, he'd chosen not to live at Bridgerton house while still a bachelor, but he did keep his study here at the house. His position as the head of the family carried serious responsibilities, and Anthony generally found it easier to attend to these responsibilities while in close proximity to the rest of his family.

Looking down at his now empty glass he sighed. He could hear the sound of someone passing outside his door, he frowned. It was well past midnight so nearly everyone had retired for the night, curiosity getting the better of him he ventured to the hallway to investigate.

"Sister?" He asked, seeing Daphne. "Whatever are you doing?" he asked in concern.

Daphne spun around in shock; she had not thought anyone was up.

"I could not sleep." Her mind had raced with questions all night, all related to Simon, The Duke. "I thought a bit of warm milk might help matters." She smiled.

"Should I ring for a servant?" He asked.

"No. No, do not wake them." She paused. "Would you like to join me?"

The pair stood Infront of the stove in confusion.

"We should light it" Daphne suggested breaking the silence. She leaned forward with two bottles of milk at the ready in both hands.

"Excellent idea!" Anthony frowned as he rolled his selves before turning to his sister. "Well go on"

"Me?"

"I should not know how to do it." he laughed.

"And you believe I should?" She remarked somewhat sarcastically.

The pair both turned to the stove once more, frowning at their predicament. "Cold milk, then." She decided turning away from the stove to sit on the kitchen table before handing a bottle to Anthony.

"Most refreshing, given the heat." Anthony commented.

"Can I ask you a question, Brother?"

"So long as it has nothing to do with the inner workings of that thing." He laughed pointing back to the stove.

Daphne smiled and remained silent mustering the courage to ask. "It is about the duke."

"What about the duke?" he sighed. Although Simon was one of Anthony's longest friends, his patience with the man was wearing thin. He could not understand why the duke was courting his sister when he had declared he would never marry.

"Well... Do you know the reason he is so opposed to marriage?"

"Daph"

"He is your closest friend." She stated. "Surely you must know things."

"The things I know are certainly not for your ears."

"How foolish of me to ever even wonder about such things." She muttered taking a sip from her milk.

"He barely knew his father. Never knew his mother. The duke grew up...quite differently than us, Daph. In all the 20 years I have known him, he has not mentioned his so-called family even once. He has spent his entire life alone." he sighed.