Chapter Thirteen

Elizabeth cursed herself as she almost forgot how enormous these great London houses gardens could be as she ventured deeper into Lady Trowbridge's almost maze-like designed hedges.  Looking around she had realised she could no longer hear the echoes sound of the ball in the distance. She could no longer hear his singer.

Elizabeth could finally breathe.

The cold night air reminded her of home, Roth house. She sometimes wished she could just forget this whole town and escape. 

"Ugh!" She exclaimed kicking the grass in frustration. Why was she frustrated? She was not courting him; no, she would not dare. If she was honest, she had no grounds to be jealous, because that was the feeling that had was building in her gut and had reared its ugly head. She was jealous of the mysterious singer, His singer. Did he love her? She was not too naïve to understand that love is not always needed where passion was involved.

"Miss Priestley" She froze. He was there, and she refused to look at him, to even turn around.

Elizabeth could hear Anthony make his way over to her until he stood directly behind her, her heart began to beat over time just from his close proximity.  She shook her head, no she thought stubbornly. She would just ignore him till he gave up, but Anthony was just a stubborn as her.

"Elizabeth" He whispered. Her Breathe hitched, He had used her name and judging by the quick flutter in her stomach, she had like him using her name.

"It is not safe for you to be out here. Alone" He whispered stepping closer if that was even possible, she thought.

"I don't care" She muttered closing her eyes.

"Well, I do." he muttered taking a step forward until her back was against his front. His closeness warmed her back and her cheeks as their bodies touched. His hand brushed her forearm in a gentle pattern leaving tiny bumps as her body betrays her. "I care about you" He whispered into her ear as she unintentionally leaned into his body.

Her eyes remained closed, and her lips parted with a small sigh as Anthony's other hand wrapped around her waist to her front. "Would you like me to step away Miss Priestley" He asked as his hand on her forearm moved to her neck as he traced the line of her dress.

She could barely move under his gentle touch but mustered a shake which earned her a soft grunt in return from Anthony. The sound alone made her cheeks heat again.

"You consume my sleep, Miss Priestley" He muttered into her neck and pulled her closer till their feet where entangled making her whimper.

"If you were mine." Her breathe hitched once more. "I would enjoy punishing you for putting your life in danger. I would have you make that sound every night"

Before Elizabeth could delve into that, Anthony's large body shifted, and her back was against a hard surface. Elizabeth's hand travelled across it absently. He had caged her against what felt like the garden wall, and she didn't know how they had ended up there. Not really. But he was pressing deliciously into her, sheltering her from the world around them. Like the human-sized shield.

"Elizabeth, open your eyes" he pleaded. "Please" she signed at the softness in his voice and opened her eyes looking directly into a concerned pair of deep brown eyes.

"Why did you run away?"

She cursed herself and looked down at the ground. Anthony moved one hand to her chin and lifted it to meet his eyes once more.

"Speak to me" he whispered.

"I-" She began but stopped at the sound of leafs rustling. "Someone's coming" She hissed.

In a haste Anthony dropped his arms and took hold of Elizabeth's now shaking hand as they began running away from   whomever had been wondering in the garden.  The pair continued moving until both had to catch their breaths. 

Elizabeth dropped his hand as the reality of her situation hit her. She was in a garden with Anthony.

Alone.

This was enough to ruin her if they had been caught or seen. Or worse she could have been trapped into a forced marriage.

Her mind began to swarm with endless ways this evening could have ruined her. Her family. She began to pace and shaking her head, her terror had manifested into anger. Anger against Anthony.

"We were nearly seen!" She continued pacing as Anthony watched. "It's fine I don't think we were seen"

"Don't think?" She scoffed. "I could have been ruined! Why did you follow me, I was perfectly fine."

She stopped and jabbed him in the chest. "You nearly ruined me!"

"Me?" He laughed bitterly. "You ran out into the darkness; you could have been attacked! Or worst"

He shook his head and now he was the one who needed to pace. Insufferable women, he thought as he ran his hand through his dark chestnut hair. He didn't need this hassle he thought.

"It's a private garden, not the great outdoors Anthony! Heavens" She exclaimed and began walking away.

Anthony froze at the sound of his name from Elizabeth's lips, it would seem he was not the only one affected by this informality.  He smiled before catching up with her.

"Stop following me, I'm going back to the ball." she hissed turning her head back for a second before looking forward.

"You will get lost"

"I'll be fine, it's not that big of a garden."

"You could get  attacked"

She swirled around so quickly that Anthony nearly crashed into her body. "I can defend myself." She smirked before slamming her foot down on his. "See?" she smiled sweetly before turning back around and walking away.

Anthony limped and scowled.  He needed to get thicker boots.

"Elizabeth" He grounded out, reaching her who had stood completely still in shock at the scene unfolding infront of them.

Simon and Daphne, kissing.