25

Note: [Text] = Thoughts-one-has | [Text]= Thoughts-one-has-but-doesn't-want-to-acknowledge-it

Author's Note: Hi guys! I know that this is a really late update, but I wanted to let you all know that I haven't abandoned this story yet. I am attached to it and have been slowly but steadily working over the chapter. Truth be told, a couple of things happened in the past half a year that it was tough to keep writing. As such, here's the 4K words chapter!

I don't think there are any specific warnings to this chapter but if implicit mind torture bothers you then please don't read any of the sections with Wen Chao.

Lan Zhan. 

"I do not have physical contact with others."

Lan Zhan. 

"Not close."

Lan Zhan. 

"Wei Ying, you really are an awful person."

Lan Zhan. 

"Come back to Gusu with me."

"I'm sorry, Lan Zhan."

Wei MingYu stared, eyes blank as the world moved on without him.

'Sorry. Master, sorry. Master.'

The twins, as usual, stayed by his side, never straying too far from him. [A curse in the disguise of a blessing or a blessing in the disguise of a curse? He couldn't tell which one it was] And Wei MingYu would have acknowledged them, acknowledged their presence and yet.. and yet..

He couldn't forget how Lan Zha—no, not his Lan Zhan, remember that. He's no longer yours—Lan Wangji pushed his younger self away at the cost of himself [Just like he had done once for him]. Couldn't forget how the beast clenched hard onto his leg. Couldn't forget how Wei Ying had been so interested in something that wouldn't be his [not anymore. He can't go down this path. He can't].

Wei MingYu also knew why Wei Ying had been so interested.

'Master? Master. Sorry. Master. Master. Master.'

Ghosts couldn't understand, wouldn't understand the complexities of emotions, even if they had once been alive. And if ghosts, who used to be once human, couldn't understand, then spiritual weapons, who were born because of humans, definitely wouldn't be able to. Especially for resentful spiritual weapons who could only understand one thing: their master's strength. 

MingYu couldn't even blame them. It was in their nature. Of course, the twins would want their master to wield them. Both the future and the present Wei Wuxian.

And yet... it was unacceptable.

Wei Ying had a choice. He doesn't need demonic cultivation, wouldn't need it. Why should his younger [pathetically naïve] self choose the lone dark path when he could traverse through the brightly lit one? Why compel him to the point he's unable to deny this dangerous curiosity?