Part 2

'You worry too much.' Bela said as the four of you walked down the hall to the easternmost wing of the castle.

'I know' you respond 'I've always done so.'

'I wonder if it's a trait that you carried on from your past life. Were you a worrier then?' Daniela joined in.

'How could I not be? No parents, no residence, no money... I don't think I knew another way of being before this.'

'Maybe you just like the attention' - Cassandra, now in a mood, dropped in her two cents. Bela pinched her.

'Ah, of course... I want mom all to myself!' you knew she thought of saying it 'I'll make sure to come up with a daily drama to take her away from you, Cassandra. I have nothing else to do with my time anyway.'

'Ok, let's not start this again' Daniela hurried the pace 'Elena is already out there'.

Hunting wasn't anywhere near as exciting as it sounded, in reality it was more of a waiting game. All of you are very susceptible to cold temperatures, which means in this time of year you cannot go looking for your own prey, not even wearing a thick cape. You would send one of the maids out, usually the very pretty Elena to attract a vagrant to the castle grounds, you would look pretty and giggle from the east wing window and then snatch them from the patio. Even in the winter, the patio job was so quick that you barely even felt a breeze. Elena always requested to be out of the picture before the bloodbath, as she did not like seeing another living person die in front of her. Bless her, she was somehow fine with her job, despite how scary things were in the castle for someone mortal like her. To be fair, the outside world was not any better for her, at least here she was safe. Somewhat.

'I brought us a deck of cards.' Daniela sat on the floor by the patio doors.

You and Bela sat down next to her, as there was no sign of Elena. It could be hours until she turned up.

Cassandra laid down on a bench on the other side of the room, reading a book, while you played go fish and chatted away. She felt she was the more mature of the group, probably she was. She was Lady Dimitrescu's right arm when maintaining the security and safety of the castle and its inhabitants. An eximious hunter, she was a dab hand at maneuvering anything that came with a blade attached, and more than likely she would take the lead whenever Elena reappeared. Cassandra was, however, a little bit jealous when it came to mother's attention, but especially the attention bestowed upon you. It was loneliness, you thought. It was known that Bela and Daniela would sometimes "play" with each other, you had Lady Dimitrescu, Cassandra was kind of left out. She was caught a few times playing with her food though, seemingly her attraction was more directed to the male kind, but mom didn't really allow any men within the castle unless they were to be consumed.

It took Elena another hour and nearly 30 minutes to come back. She brought with her what seemed to be a travelling merchant. Far too old for her, the pervert, but he would do well at the dinner table.

You and your sisters shot up and looked at him from the windows and door. His eyes sparkled at the sight of what he was now thinking was going to be a harem. Elena introduced you from outside and you giggled and waved in turns. She then told him she had to go change into a more comfortable attire, but you would ensure he would be well entertained in the meantime. As she came in through the patio door, you slid out. It was only when he saw Elena run out of view that his smile faded.

--

'Mother... what do you think?' Cassandra pointed at the carcass you and Bela were now propping up to be drained as soon as Lady D entered the kitchen.

'Wonderful!' Lady Dimitrescu exclaimed. 'He will last us a good while.'

'Mommy! Want a taste?' Daniela hobbled from the back room, awkwardly carrying more bottles than she should, or indeed could.

'I would love a glass, darling.' Mom took a couple bottles from Daniela's load.

Cassandra got a wine glass from the cupboard, slit the man's leg and collected his blood, switching from glass to bottle once this had been filled.

'Hmmm... ' your mother murmured with gusto, making you smile 'great choice. Elena never disappoints.'

'A travelling salesman, it seems.' Bela made a second cut on the man's corpse and placed another bottle underneath.

'Make sure you collect 2 bottles for the cellars, babies. I want to see how this one ages.' she turned to Cassandra 'Darling, come into my office. I need to go see Mother Miranda and the others this afternoon and I'd like you to come with me this time. We will have to go over a few details.'

Cassandra looked at you haughtily, causing you to roll your eyes, which mom noticed.

'And you... I'd like a chat after we're back from our little visit.' she told you, casually as she led Cassandra away by the hand.

Great. This conversation again.

'What's with her?' Bela whispered after mother and sister had left the kitchen.

'Who knows...' you sighed.

'She needs to get laid.' Daniela said so suddenly that Bela gasped and you all ended in fits of giggles.

Lunch was mostly quiet as mom and Cassandra discussed their imminent meeting. After spending an inordinate amount of time searching for a book that you had not read before you made a mental note to tell Mom to get more books again, and settled for In A Glass Darkly, in the hope its short stories would keep you entertained until she came back. The maids were cleaning around in the library so you decided to read it in bed. 

Well... mom's bed.