Part 3

You didn't know how long you'd been asleep when you opened your eyes. The book you were reading slid off you as you stretched and searched for a clock. It had been just over 5 hours since mom and Cassandra had left for their meeting and when 4 hours had passed you put it down to the extra precautions needed in order to take Cassandra outside in the winter, but now you were starting to worry.

You got up and looked outside as the remaining daylight started to fade. A lone moroaica paced around on the pavement below. It was only when you were freshening up in Lady D's bathroom that you heard her booming voice coming from downstairs and her familiar footsteps, steadily making way in your direction.

She sounded angry.

Alcina nearly took the door off its hinges as she came into her bedroom, letting out a loud grunt as she slammed it shut behind her.

'Mom?' you softly said coming out of the bathroom.

'Darling! You startled me.'

'Is everything alright?'

'No, everything is not alright!' she sat down on the side of the bed, looking irate. You waited for her to tell you what had left her in such a state, but she did not say anything, she just looked down and you could feel the frustration emanating out of her like radiation.

After a few seconds that seemed more like minutes Lady Dimitrescu laid down on the bed, breathing heavily out of rage. You noticed her claws were out.

'Anything I can do for you? Can I get you a drink?' you gently walked over to her and got onto the bed next to her. Her bosom was heaving, so you placed your hand on her chest, in an attempt to calm her down, and laid down next to her resting your head on her shoulder.

Lady Dimitrescu retracted her claws and put her hand on top of yours. The rhythmic rising and falling of her breasts against your hand stirred something in you, but you shook it off immediately as this was most definitely not the appropriate time.

'That disgusting Heisenberg...' she muttered.

'What happened?'

'That DEPRAVED little EXCUSE of a man had the GALL to make advances on MY DAUGHTER!' Lady Dimitrescu shouted every other word in anger. 'Mother Miranda said I was overreacting, didn't allow me to show him good manners! I don't know why she lets him behave like the petulant, arrogant little CHILD he is.' she sighed in frustration.

'I'm sure Cassandra would have shown him, if he had got too close...'

'It's blatant disrespect!'

'I know, I'm sorry...' you planted a soft, tentative kiss on her cheek. She squeezed your hand and pressed it closer to her chest. It didn't help. You really wanted to slide your hand under her decolletage, but fought against it.

'What was it you wanted to talk about earlier?' you hoped this would take her away from her thoughts on Heisenberg.

'What? Oh... ' she turned her head to you, still visibly disgusted. ' Cassandra. Please don't roll your eyes at her, honey, it's not nice, she just wants to do well.'

'Did you see how she looked at me?'

'It doesn't matter. She feels a little left out and is holding on to what she knows she can bring to the table. Let her be proud of that. I am.'

You could see the point. You'd endure it if it made mother happy.

'How was your day?' Lady Dimitrescu placed a gentle kiss on your forehead and brushed your hair back with her other hand.

'We need new books.' you muttered, making her chuckle.

'Alright, darling, I'll ask the girls to buy some more next time they go to the market.' She patted the hand on your chest. ' Come, let's go downstairs, the girls must be starving.'

Mom got up from the bed and walked towards the door, however as you had not followed her, she looked back at you before opening the door. The hopeful look on your face was a giveaway.

'Not now, sweetheart... ' she smiled '...later.'

--

'Mama, how long have we been here with you?' Daniela asked mid-bite. 'Bela and I think it has been close to 100 years.'

Lady Dimitrescu laughed. She took a sip of her wine and thought about it for a few seconds. 'I think it's more like... 66 years.'

'Really?' Bela looked puzzled.

'You girls do nothing all day, it probably feels longer than that because you're bored.' Cassandra teased.

'It was 1956, I believe. You came a little later in 1958.' she smiled at you.

'1956...' Bela murmured ' I remember it being very gloomy.'

'Indeed it was.' Lady Dimitrescu agreed. ' There was a lot of poverty in this area. This was an isolated village, still is, to be fair. It wasn't uncommon for parents to sell their children in order to survive. I can't even imagine. My precious girls...'

'Wow that makes us what.... 83, 84?' Daniela scrunched her nose. ' We never count the years on our birthdays, I've lost count!'

'Age is but a number, my dear!' Mom brushed her cheek ' And you will always be my babies...'

'I don't want to be a baby forever....' Cassandra protested. ' I don't do baby things.'

That was rich. You nearly rolled your eyes again but managed to avert it.

'You're my young lady' Lady D agreed. 'You'll one day be the matriarch of this family, when I retire.'

Cassandra was happy with that.

After dinner you all sat in the family room, near the comforting fire, chatting away and playing games. Lady Dimitrescu puffed on her cigarette and slowly exhaled its smoke, sometimes lost in her thoughts, no doubt still about the earlier event, and sometimes looking adoringly at her daughters. You thought for a while about how fortunate you were that mom had found you and brought you home.

You caught her gaze and noticed she was looking differently at you.

Another trail of smoke came out of her red lips.

She hadn't forgotten about you.