Part 7

Cassandra eyed you as you walked into the breakfast room, right behind Alcina. You couldn't tell if she was apprehensive or angry. Either way she looked like she had about the same amount of sleep as you had - none.

Bela and Daniela were blissfully unaware of the previous night's occurrence and you hoped Lady Dimitrescu didn't even so much suspect that something had happened. You knew Cassandra would attempt a confrontation to ensure your silence as soon as remotely possible, so you blended the useful with the agreeable and told mom you'd sit with her and keep her company whilst she dealt with her daily paperwork. The closer you were to her, the less Cassandra would be likely to bother you.

'You look tired sweetheart.' Alcina held Cassandra's hand.

'I read until very late' she faked a smile. 'I didn't realise how late it had become.'

'Your sister didn't sleep either.' mom mentioned you. 'I could barely convince her to come down for breakfast.'

An awkward silence fell between you, which didn't go unnoticed.

'What's the matter?' Daniela queried.

'Nothing. ' you said quickly 'I always have trouble sleeping.'

'That's true.' mother said between bites.

You couldn't quite get the hang of how to act naturally, so you excused yourself as soon as you finished eating to go get a study book. The idea was to walk out, fly to the library and straight into Lady Dimitrescu's office, where she would hopefully appear shortly after. It didn't quite go to plan.

You did manage to get your book, however on the way back you were intercepted by a loud buzzing of flies that took the shape of your beloved sister. You shrieked.

'Be quiet!' Cassandra pushed you through the nearest door, into a closet.

'We've got to stop meeting like this...' humour was the only way you could think of to deal with the situation.

'Listen to me.'

'No YOU listen to me!' you said louder than you wanted to, suddenly angered by her behaviour towards you 'You have put me in a situation I REALLY don't want to be in! If you're trying to make sure I'm not going to tell on you, you don't need to worry. I wouldn't even know how and where to begin. It's your mess to tell mom. I have nothing to do with it, I don't want any part of it.'

'Thank you.' Cassandra smiled, pained but also surprised.

'And stop acting like you have something to hide. You're making it worse.'

'I will, I'm sorry.'

You left her in the closet. Your blood was still boiling about last night, you were more angry than worried. You hadn't expected Cassandra to be so careless, so... desperate?

'Ah, there you are!' Lady D spotted you from down the hallway. 'I'm not going to carry my papers all the way to the study, so I'm sorting it out at my desk.'

That worked well for you, you could doze off in bed to your heart's content.

--

'Baby...?' Alcina gently shook you awake.

'Huh?' you wondered how long you'd been asleep for. Judging by the headache, not long.

'Are you not hungry?'

'... not really, no...'

'Awww...' she laid in bed next to you. 'My poor little princess is tired.'

Although you didn't like to be called that you let it slide and nestled your head on her chest.

'You're comfy.' you said half asleep, making her giggle.

Lady Dimitrescu allowed you to stay there for a few short moments. You were nearly drifting off again with her fingers running through your hair when she patted you awake and made you get up.

For the rest of the day you were determined to stay awake, despite the head splitting migraine. At least you'd have a good chance to actually sleep during the night, even if only due to exhaustion.

Cassandra wasn't doing well. She was giggly and very chatty, which was so unlike her. Bela and Daniela threw a few glances at each other, wondering what on earth had possessed their sister.

'I don't know. Maybe she woke up in a good mood?' you responded when they mentioned it.

'What, Cassandra? OUR Cassandra?' - Bela rightfully doubted it.

'Haha, maybe she finally got laid!' Daniela giggled. Bela joined in.

'Ha ha, maybe...' you nearly had a stroke.

That evening you did everything you could think of to keep yourself occupied, not only to stop yourself from falling asleep, but also to stop thinking about Heisenberg and your sister. You sharpened your sickles, tidied your bedroom and even played around with make-up in a fruitless attempt to make you look more... alive?

Mom asked you if you wanted to sleep with her but this time you declined. She liked the curtains wide open and the moon illuminating her room, but you really just wanted to be in absolute darknass and total dead silence to ensure you'd sleep undisturbed once and for all. Alcina pouted but she understood, giving you a goodnight kiss on your lips.

You slid into bed and it felt like heaven. The sheets were the right temperature, the blanket was the right weight, the pillow was the right softness. It didn't even take you five minutes to fall asleep a dreamless, deep slumber.