Part 12

The following days passed uneventfully.

Both you and Cassandra were in Lady Dimitrescu's good graces again but neither of you dared to make any sudden moves, any loud noises or anything that could in any way upset her, even though her children's occasional rowdiness had never done anything other than amuse her before.

Mother Miranda had requested a meeting and Cassandra was invited to join in again, meaning mother had full trust that she wouldn't stray, even when Heisenberg was included. The lesson had been well and truly learned and Alcina was above all a Lady, and business doesn't mix with personal, despite her full blown hatred of this man.

Bela and Daniela were nowhere to be seen, which meant they were busy with each other. You were on your own.

The sheet music that had laid on your desk since that awful event caught your eye and you stared at it for a while. You did miss playing the piano, you thought as you picked it up and made your way to the music room. That would also be a nice surprise for her.

The sound of raindrops hitting the windows inspired you to look for a calm melody, the kind you and mom preferred. You flicked through it until the name Debussy popped up. That was always a safe bet. You settled for Reverie, which you had not learned before.

Lady Dimitrescu heard the beautiful but faint sound of the faraway piano as she reentered the castle. She smiled, knowing fully well you were doing it just to please her. It had been so long since she had heard you play. Far too long.

You were so immersed in the music, so focused on trying to follow it correctly that you didn't realise she had returned and was now standing at the doorway, listening. It was her perfume that alerted you.

Without looking back at her you faded the current piece to an end. You knew her favourite is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, so you immediately started playing a shorter version of it, almost as if not a day had passed since you had last played it for her. She gasped and giggled when you flubbed up a couple notes, but as you wrapped it up and finally looked back at her she was smiling adoringly at you. She graciously clapped.

'Bravo!' she said as you bowed down.

--

'We have a problem' - Cassandra came flying into the library.

'What?' Bela looked at her, but her finger kept on marking the line she was reading.

Cassandra threw a sheet of paper on the table, Bela's finger came off the page and she snatched it.

'Noooooo.... ' she whispered as her eyes frantically read through it. She looked at you and Daniela, back to Cassandra, back to the paper. She dropped what seemed to be a letter and reclined back on her chair, mouth wide open.

Daniela picked up the letter and scooted next to you so you could read it together.

"My dear Cassandra,

I will not be without you. These weeks have been agony and seeing you yesterday reinforced my certainty that we are meant to be together. I am coming for you and I will not allow anyone to come between us. Not even your family. You don't need them, we are enough.

You will soon know what I mean. I'm sure I will be able to impress you.

We will be together again.

Yours truly,

KH"

You burst out laughing.

Of all the things you thought of Karl Heisenberg, lovesick puppy was definitely not on the list.

Your sisters looked at you puzzled.

'I'm laughing more out of anxiety than anything else.' you tried to say between chuckles, feeling like a bundle of nerves.

'This is serious.' Daniela failed an attempt at suppressing a smile.

'Ok girls, he says he is coming, this is no joke.' Cassandra said, serious. 'I've got chills' she hugged herself.

'Is he, though? Like, is he really like this?' Bela asked.

'He was always very attentious, generous and romantic, but I never actually thought it was a serious thing. I thought he was just trying to lure me in and keep me interested.'

'When did you get this?' Bela looked at the letter in Daniela's hand intently.

'I found it outside my window and came straight here.'

The three of you shot up.

'WHAT?' Daniela nearly shrieked.

'Shit, he may still be on the grounds, maybe even in the castle!' You said, wide eyed.

The four sisters dismantled into a mess of buzzing flies, zooming all over the castle. There was no room left unchecked, no doors or windows unlocked. The maids were startled and the moroaicas were agitated.

'What on earth is going on here?! Cassandra!' Lady Dimitrescu called out as her daughter soared past her.

You all heard her calling and quickly appeared in front of mother.

'Care to explain?' Lady D said casually to her panting daughters.

'Mommy... promise you won't be mad?' Cassandra stepped forward.

'What now, child?' Alcina looked at her expectant.

Cassandra held the letter out. Mom took it from her and quietly read it, completely expressionless. She must have gone through it three or four times when she finally looked up.

'Let him fucking try!' Alcina's amber eyes sparkled like fire.