Part 13

Apologies for not updating sooner, had too much work to get through and couldn't really figure out what and how to write in these next few chapters. Please feel free to send in suggestions.

Thank you so much for your kind messages <3 

=========

The night sky was completely overcast, plummeting the castle into darkness, but for the lamps in two of the bedrooms. Your sisters were all sleeping together in one room not too far away, while you and mother stayed in her chambers. Lady Dimitrescu seemed serene reading her book but you knew she was paying attention to every minute sound that could be heard through the halls. The security of the castle was doubled, moroaicas were brought up from the dungeons and mom had let the samca roam free, patrolling the property. You couldn't see them due to the dark night, but you'd sometimes hear a woosh similar to bat wings, only enormous, just outside the window which made you instantly feel safer.

You had long given up on your book and were now tracing the golden lines on the canopy of Alcina's bed.You weren't noticing you were drifting off to sleep except when the occasional loud crackle from the fire would make you open your eyes. You felt Lady D's comforting hand rub your back just as you were fading again.

--

'Did you sleep my little darlings?' - Mother smiled visibly tired, as she sat down for breakfast.

'Just a little.' Bela said.

Cassandra and Daniela shook their heads.

'Mom, I'm scared. ' Daniela said. ' He's not a just manthing, he can really hurt us.'

'I know sweetheart, I have informed Mother Miranda of our little problem and she has assured me she will try to talk sense into that idiot's mind. It beggars belief that she sees him as our equal. As part of the family. That filthy, pathetic excuse of a brother.'

You put your hand on Alcina's to try and calm her down.

'Do you really think he would be so stupid?' you asked. 'Would Mother Miranda not be upset?'

'Oh she would, I'm sure' mom took a sip of her blood 'but males are uncouth, unrefined beings. He likely thinks he is above rules or that he may somehow charm his way out of trouble.'

'Ok but what do you think he will do. And how?' Cassandra frowned.

'That villain wants to take you from me, my child, that's certain. Now how he would get into the castle is what worries me. He would not be able to get in in a peaceful, non-destructive way, which puts my babies at risk.'

'Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of kidnapping Cassandra? How does he do that without harming her? How does he get her out of the castle?' you couldn't see this ending well.

'There are sealed off underground passageways, like the one I took you through the other day' mom looked at Cassandra ' but I don't think he knows about those. At least I hope he doesn't. No, I think the simpleton is going to come with one of his machines and try to destroy his way in. The samca will be flying around for the time being, at least until he loses his interest.'

'What's the procedure in the meantime? Do we have an emergency plan?' Bela inquired.

'The wine room or the lab are the safest places. I can make them impenetrable. The moment I tell you to get in there, you make sure you go. I will take care of Karl Heisenberg myself.' Alcina emphasised his name with disgust.

'Oh no, no, you're not going to be alone against that beast!' Bela protested.

'And what do you suggest, puișor? He will not be perceptive enough to think Cassandra is susceptible to cold, let alone you and your other sisters! There is no way you will be vulnerable and that's final!' Mother tapped the table with her hand. 'I would simply perish if anything happens to my girls, I will not have it.'

It was agreed you would all be in the same room at all times, close to the wine room in case anything happened. There was a hidden passageway from the wine room down to the lab, which would guarantee your safety. Mother did not dismiss you from your studies so that's what you and your sisters did for most of the day. For once it was actually nice to focus on something that wasn't your current reality. When Lady Dimitrescu was satisfied with her daughters' coursework progress she allowed you to have an evening of movies, which you all agreed would be a welcome passtime.

As the daylight began to fade outside you noticed mom would look at the windows more often, lingering her gaze if she had noticed any movement, which had invariably been a moroaica perambulating the patio. Dinner was served in the family room so you could continue enjoying your movie night.

Cassandra had fallen asleep on top of some cushions on the floor when the third film ended. Bela and Daniela had sat on either side of mom and were snuggled up to her.

'I think that's it for the night.' Lady Dimitrescu hugged them close and planted a kiss on their heads. 'Off to bed, little ones.'

The girls muttered objections as you gently shook Cassandra's shoulder on your way to turn off the TV. You turned around and noticed neither of your sisters had moved from their comfortable positions. If anything they were holding on to mother even closer. Mom took a slow drag of her cigarette, observing her children.

And then you saw him.

Just the reflection of the fire on his glasses.

Alcina saw the colour drain from your face and nudged her daughters off of her.

'GO!' she shouted just as Karl Heisenberg lifted his gigantic hammer and crashed it against the window.