Part 8

A loud sound of metal grating through stone resounded all over the castle.

You shot up in bed in a panic. At first you thought it had been one of those dreams where you're falling from so high it startles you awake, but as your senses woke up you could hear shouting, guttural screams and shrieks. One of the voices was unmistakably Lady Dimitrescu's.

You got up, put on your nightgown and dissipated into a mess of buzzing flies, trying to get to the commotion as fast as possible. You heard clanging and whirring amidst the voices that were now growing louder and louder.

It was as you turned to the hallway that led to Cassandra's room that you saw something crash through the window and flee into the night. The freezing air nearly knocked you out. Mother saw you appear in front of her and screamed in absolute panic, immediately pushing you into Cassandra's room and closing the door behind her, locking the cold air out of her daughters' reach.

You heard Bela and Daniela shriek outside in the hallway as they approached the cold wind and mother ordered them to go back into their bedrooms, she reassured them that everything was now ok and she'd see them in a little bit. Their buzzing quickly faded down the hallway. Lady Dimitrescu had her back turned to you. She was leaning against the door, her hand and forehead resting on it. Her claws were out and her breathing was all over the place.

You hadn't noticed the claws. Now that the adrenaline was subsiding you noticed the pain on your arm. Mother had inadvertently cut you as she pushed you inside the room, away from the cold and you were bleeding from at least three gashes. When a few moments had passed, her breathing had not slowed down and she hadn't turned around to face you and Cassandra, you looked back at your sister. Her face was white, with an expression of fear you had never seen in anyone before, not even prey. She was shaking violently.

'Mom?' you looked at Lady Dimitrescu again.

'How dare you...' her voice trembled. It was rage.

Mother turned around and you almost wish she hadn't. She had a deep laceration from her face, down to her neck and cleavage that you could see was now quickly healing, leaving the thickened dark blood behind over a silvery streak where the scar tissue was appearing.

'Mommy...' a pitiful sound came out of Cassandra.

'HOW DARE YOU?!'

Her booming voice hit you like a train. Lady Dimitrescu walked so fast toward Cassandra that you were sure she was going to slice her to ribbons. You threw yourself in front of her, proving no match to her but making her think twice about what she was about to do.

'Mommy, please!' Cassandra cried.

'What happened?' your whole body was trying to keep the over 9 foot tall woman from making a mistake she would later regret. Everything hurt from the sheer force necessary to slow her down. Your sliced arm was now going numb.

'WHAT HAPPENED? WHAT HAPPENED?! YOUR SISTER BEING A RECKLESS HARLOT HAPPENED!'

Your heart sank to your feet as suddenly the metal sounds made sense. Cassandra couldn't have been that stupid.

'Of all the people in this world! Of all the MEN in this world!' Lady Dimitrescu spat the words out with complete disdain.

'I'm so sorry...' Cassandra was now sounding almost unintelligible, cowering and whimpering in her bed.

You turned towards her as you felt the tension in Alcina's body slightly relent. Words failed you. How could she have been so stupid, so selfish, so careless? She was more than aware of mother's disgust towards Karl Heisenberg.

'Were you that desperate?!' was the only thing you managed to mutter.

At this point Lady Dimitrescu noticed you were bleeding. Both your and her nighties were soaked in blood. She drew back her claws and touched the wounds she had accidentally inflicted on you, which made you flinch. She walked into the bathroom, partially to get supplies to bandage you, partially to remove herself for a while and regain a modicum of composure.

'What's wrong with you?!' you whispered.

'Shut up!' she hissed back 'you have no say!'

'What do you mean? Are you insane?! What fucking possessed you?'

'I don't have anyone!'

Lady Dimitrescu came back in, after having heard that last sentence. The violence of her entrance was terrorising. Her claws were back out. She grabbed the nearest piece of furniture and you were sure she only didn't throw it directly at Cassandra because you were between the both of them.

' I HAVE GIVEN YOU EVERYTHING!!' she roared. 'EVERYTHING! A HOME! SUSTENANCE! LOVE!!'

'Help me!' Cassandra mouthed at you in despair. 'Help me explain!'

'I... no! I told you I didn't want any part in this!' you said without thinking.

Lady Dimitrescu's amber eyes darted at you. Her mouth opened in disbelief. 

'You knew about this...'