nine // blood in the alleyway

-Gabry-

     Me and Alec waited in line inside the coffee shop. The clatter of all the machines they used to make espressos and such echoed around the small space. It was a fairly small coffee shop but don't let it fool you. Their hot chocolate was like heaven in a cup.

     "May I help you guys?", the preppy cashier asked us, a fake smile plastered on her face. Right as I was about to speak Alec cut in.

     "We will take two hot chocolates please?", asked Alec. I shut my mouth as I watched the girl jot it down on her notepad. Once she finished she set the notepad down on the counter and punched in a few buttons on the cash register. "Okay, that will be $9.95."

     Alec nodded and put his hands in his coat pockets in search for his wallet. He stopped patting as his eyes widened. He then continued to pat down his pants and soon every piece of clothing that had pockets.

     "I think I left my wallet in the car", he said as he countiued to search himself frantically. Damn it! If only I brought my wallet! Alec looked up and smiled at the cashier then turned to face me.

     "The car's not that far away. Let me go grab it really fast. I'll be right back, stay here", he told me as he started to walk backwards out the store. He opened the door and quickly ran by the window in the direction of his truck. A gust of cold air from outside blew my hair back as soon as the door shut. Luckily there was nobody behind us in line, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

     "I'll be right back, I haved to check up on something real fast. If he comes back just ring the bell", the preppy cashier said as I turned to face her. I nodded back and she disappeared behind the curtain that led to the back.

     I stood there staring down at my shoes and playing with the ends of my scarf. I wasn't sure what to do. Honestly, it was quite awkward if you wanted my opinion. I just hoped that Alec would hurry up, I really wanted my hot chocolate!

     Soon 3 minutes turned to 10 and he still wasn't back. I felt my gut turn just alittle as anixety started to form. Why wasn't he back? The car wasn't that far away, was it? I looked behind me, no sign of the cashier anywhere. Another 2 minutes rolled by.

     Okay. . .

     I sighed and headed towards the door, my arms in front of me as I pushed it. The cold winter air engulfed me and any sign of warm that clung to my clothes was instantly eliminated. People crowded the streets deep in conversation as Christmas music blared from unseen speakers. I turned on my heel and made my way down the sidewalk, snow crunching under my feet as I pulled my scarf over my mouth, my hair waving in the slight breeze.

     It took me about 3 minutes to get to the intersection were Alec's car was parked. I turned right down a dark empty street, spotting the lamplight that me an Alec passed first when we got out of his car earlier. I made my way down the street, the music and conversations slowly faded until the only thing I could hear was the sound of my feet crunching against the snow.

     But then that wasn't the only thing I heard. A scream.

     I instantly stopped and my breathe hitched. I quickly turned around, my head whipping back and forth. Then the scream sounded again.

     "Get off of me! Help!", cried out a voice. Male. But not just any male. . .

    I felt myself cry out before I could process it. "ALEC!"

     I broke out in a run. My feet nearly slipping on every piece of ice in the way but I didn't care! Alec was in trouble! I ran and ran and ran, my breathing getting deeper. I ran past houses and fences and shrubs but I didn't stop. I needed to find Alec!  I ran more down the street until I came to an alleyway entrance. I quickly ran past it and stood in the center of the opening. I gasped and felt my hands come up to my mouth as I took a step back.