•14•

Aiyana Valentino

Two hours later, I was still sulking in the living room of the cabin. It's been deadbeat silent for the lack of any human presence, excluding mine.

Amren was lastly making several phone calls outside, his pacing intensified sometimes, the snow crouching loudly underneath his haste movements.

Noah, was also outside, on guard duty I concluded. Which left me alone with my thoughts in the confines of the wooden surrounding.

I mostly kept on my phone, browsing Instagram, but even that becomes boring after I've refreshed it a million times. I tossed the phone away probably about half an hour ago.

Currently, I was tucked under the warm blanket marinating back and forth with my untamed thoughts.

How did my life manage to take such sharp twists in matter of weeks? My right hand shoots to play with the wedding ring on my left finger, twisting the band back and forth rhythmically.

I tried dissecting the situation in my head, picking at the pieces that lead to everything.

Sure, my ambition was never to marry this young at only 23, that too to a stranger.
Nevertheless, I try shining some light on the bright side, even though Amren wasn't a man I was in love with romantically, he hadn't tried anything with me, though he could if he wanted to; no one would stop him if he did, since I was lawfully his wife.

A sigh of relief escapes my lips at the alternate scenario of me being with that asshole Ivan. Now, if I was married to him my life would be exceptionally different, my life would've probably ended the same night I would've signed myself to him.

I wasn't a weak scared little lamb that feared the big bad wolf. I was capable of protecting myself, but not having to lookout for your shoulder every damn second felt nice.

As someone who's spent my entire life being the daughter of a mafia boss, sure I wasn't that much thrust into the life but it never meant I didn't know everything that went around, after all, rumors spread faster than wildfire.

I've heard of Amren before, he was portrayed as a ruthless killer, strong willed, sporting a 'don't mess with me' attitude. His reputation was squeaky clean. He never associated with one night stands, or meaningless affairs. He was like a machine that breathed, worked out, killed. Then, wake up the next day and repeat.

I get why he had to approve of this sham marriage, both of us were under the control of our fathers, as much as we hated to admit it; it was the unescapable truth.

A sudden burst of the door startles me, pulling me out of my own hell I create in my mind and back to the realms of reality.

A seething Amren steps in with hurry evident in his fast strides.

"What is happ-" I didn't get the chance to finish my question as his his words cut me off.

"Pack up, we need to leave. Now" He barks and I decide to stand my ground. The least he could do is explain the situation. Did someone find us? Are they here? Should I expect the cabin to be broken into any second now?

"Tell me what happened first? I thought we're safe here, what's goi-" Again, he cuts me off, this time anger and frustration taking up most of his demeanor.

"I don't have the time now, we need to leave. Can you fucking do what you're told for once?" His snappy remark sunk my mood and any other urge to inquire about the situation.

My face was neutral of any signs of hurt or disappointment, though I couldn't say that the same was for my heart. I hated being yelled at. No matter what the reason, who the person. Being yelled at triggered my eyes to work on their own and for tears to appear uninvited.

Over the years, I learned to surpass them. 'Don't let anyone see you cry' was a mantra I kept repeating in my head whenever a situation arose.

I packed up my things, not that there were many -quiet a few really- and trailed after him in utter silence that tore my heartstrings slowly apart.

Just when we reached the door, he turns around, untucks a gun from his waistband and places it in my hand.

I look over to him with nothing but a voided hollow look on my face, my eyes colder than the snow falling outside in the blizzard.

"We need to make a run for the car" He urgently explains and I nod passively.

He cocks the safety off of his own gun while I do the same and we open the door to come face to face with hell unleashed.

•••

A/n:
I got inspired to write this
after a week of nothing. Progress.

For more updates please vote and comment ❣️