•16•

Amren Valentino

To say it ate away at my brain was an under-fucking-statement.
It gnawed at my head, constantly thinking how were the Russians able to find our whereabouts.

We were tucked away safely in one of my hidden safe houses, that shouldn't have been that easy to find, nonetheless they managed to find us in less than 24 hours which meant one thing only.

Someone fucking ratted us out. We had a mole and I needed to figure out who if I wanted to stay cautious and keep my wife safe also.

The question is, who's dumb enough to sell me out?

I sigh, the possibilities were endless. In the end, everyone needed something. Everyone would start a goddamn war if it meant getting what they craved in the end, whatever that might be.

I stepped out of the shower, water dripping down, cascading to the floor tiles. I grab a towel and with my good hand dry myself then secure it around my waist.

After we've arrived, I've called Dr. Francis whom came and performed a mini surgery, extracting the bullet grazed in my skin and bandaged my arm.

Now, that I took a shower I should change the wraps and he said it'll be good in a week or so, it always is.

I walked out, the sight taking me by surprise. Aiyana seated on the bed in nothing but a black lacy bra-lette thing and mini shorts with a thin coverup, that did little in fact to cover anything up.

I gulped and made my way to the other side of the bed, still her sweet smell infiltrates my nose and my head doses off.

I gulp, seeing the silky shorts exposed more than they did cover, basically leaving her creamy legs out on display.

I tried ignoring her presence and focusing on the gauze on my arm, she watches me for a few seconds and then crawls closer to me on her knees.

Her exposed thighs touch the side of the towel over mine accidentally and it sent a wave of electricity up my form. It was definite, her touch burnt.

"Let me" Aiyana lets out softly and takes the gauze and sterilizer from my hand into hers.

I watch her as she works silently, her attention on my arm, not wavering in the slightest, even though I'm basically half naked in front of her, with nothing but a towel hugging my lower half.

I watch as her long fingers work intently, chunks of her long caramel hair keep falling in her face, she pushes them back but the stubborn strands keep sliding into her face.

Her cover up slips through the motions, granting access to her exposed shoulder and I notice two moles on her. One on the base of her arm, the other slightly above her right breast.

They weren't popping out or big enough to the eye, basically two brown dots decorating her smooth skin.
I wondered how many more were there hidden underneath the rest of the clothing.

I take in the time to admire her features, since this is the most up close I've ever been, and a sinking feeling settled in the gut of my stomach at the thought that this is probably the most up close I'll ever be.

I take in her brown eyes that can burn cities to ashes adorned by the most perfect set of eyebrows, her pouty lips that frame her face in an alluring way and her button nose that twitches whenever she's thinking about something.

Upon finishing her task, she clears her throat and shoots back as if the closeness might kill, as if the air hung around me carried lethal poison.

She tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ears, while putting space between us. Space that felt like mountains sitting on my shoulder.

"There, all done" A soft smile adorns her lips and she moves away to throw the old bandages out.

Wrong move. It only accentuated her curvaceous body even more in that nothing but an excuse of a nightwear.

I remember I still needed to change and moved away towards the closet my eyes closed, willing myself to have self control, no matter how hard and far fetched it seems to be.

I take a long breath in, then release it back and grab sweatpants and a shirt and change into them.

'It was probably nothing. You need sleep' I kept repeating in my head till I became convinced with it.

Going out back to the room, I noticed her slender figure under the sheets already with shallow breaths suggesting she was already asleep.

I was about to take the couch when her voice suddenly came out. "You're injured, take the bed. I'll move to the couch" She offered and started getting up, preparing to go there.

"No need, I'll be fine" I said devoid of any emotion.

"No, you're hurt, you should sleep on the bed" She argues and I run my good hand through my hair.

"Fine, I'll take the bed. But don't leave, we'll share. I'll never let you sleep on the couch" I let out, finality evident in my tone.

She settled back into the sheets and I turned around the bed to the other side and climbed in under the covers.

The room went dead silent after that, and my muscles twitched in ache knowing she was lying a half meter away from me.

So close, but so far at the same time.

I closed my droopy eyelids and decided going to sleep is a better option than just lying here fantasizing about the girl beside me.

The girl so close, but at the same time out of my reach.

•••

A/n:
It feels like I got carried
away while writing this chapter
but you know what? Fuck it,
this is probably the best
chapter I wrote thus far, or feels like it.
In short, I'm happy with this one
and I hope you're happy too

For more updates
please vote and comment ❣️