Chapter 9

DAYS FLEW BY SO FAST. It had been months since their parents met and agreed on their wedding date. David didn't listen to Avery when she told him they should schedule anything related to their preparations after Shelly and Art's wedding. Instead, he insisted they set up a dinner with their parents to get their input in choosing their wedding date. Avery's excitement at preparing for her dream event was still there, but she couldn't deny her woman's instinct was getting stronger each day.

But if one good thing happened after they moved past their relationship dilemma, David became more considerate, affectionate, and open in communicating everything to Avery. So when he consulted her on an out-of-city transfer for a promotion offered to him by the firm, it was a first. 

"Babe, whatever you decide is my decision." David's voice was in submission. She wondered if it was a chance for her to assure him she was also trying to get everything back the way it was between them. 

When she looked at his face, his body was like an offering to her in atonement. She could see he was trying his best. But she would have to trust him.

Avery smiled as she traced the corners of his lips. "You should accept the transfer." 

David pulled her body to his. "I'm not sure if I can stand to be away from you four to five days a week." His voice choked.

Avery clasped her hands around his neck and whispered. "We need to. Remember, this is a promotion." She lifted her chin and faced him. "Besides, it's not permanent, right?"

She looked him in the eye. It was a habit she had developed since that unfortunate night. Whenever she asked him a question, her eyes automatically darted to his, wanting to ensure she reads the truth in whatever answer he gave her. She kept telling herself she had to trust him, but her heart was still apprehensive. She had to remind herself that he was doing the best he could. But her instinct kept giving a negative vibe. How long would she live with her doubting mind?

"I hope not!" David shook his head. "The contract says five to six months. Besides, I promise to come home for the weekends."

Avery placed a soft kiss on his cheek. "Or I can always visit you and spend some weekends there." 

David nodded, then looked away. Deep inside, something had been bothering him. But he wanted to keep it to himself. If there was anyone he wouldn't want to hurt again, it was Avery. He would forever be sorry he caused her pain by cheating on her.

The night he admitted everything was his most regretful one. How could he have cheated on the most important woman in his life? Though he admitted everything and told her it was a fucked up mistake, he knew it wasn't just a mistake. It was the most hurtful and regretful choice he had made.

With everything happening, all the cover-ups he'd had to create for that one choice had dug him into a deep hole of piled-up lies. There were nights when he wanted to blame his efficient skill as a lawyer on how he faced the events that passed. But it's too late to back down now; he was hoping for the best. He prayed that his latest plan would solve the mess he had created. The top of his list is to protect Avery and ensure she didn't get hurt again.

Everything would work out fine, he thought. One day at a time. These were the exact words of assurance he'd been telling himself lately. 

He only had one goal: to make Avery his wife. And he needed to make it happen soon. Despite the unfortunate events known and unknown to Avery, he realized one important thing. He had never felt such great love for anyone other than her. And if hiding the truth from her was the only way he could protect her, lying was what he would have to do. Until such a time, he had taken care of everything.