Chapter 19

AVERY DIDN'T GET TO say goodbye to her mom on the other line. It was the happiest she'd ever heard her mom. But it made her heart cringe. Her head ached, thinking that David wouldn't submit to her decision. So she knew she had to think of the best way to break the news to their parents.

David squeezed her hand, pulling her out of her reverie. They both realized their parents played significant roles in their wedding preparations. It reminded them of their scheduled once-a-month dinner for both families. Fear showed on their faces.

David shook his head. "We can't tell them. It will break their hearts."

"We need to tell them," Avery answered.

"We're just taking a break, babe. So let's spare them the..."

"Looks like you are ready to be discharged, Avery. I'm Doctor Jamison, OB." The cheerful voice of the doctor interrupted their exchange. Shelly saw that the doctor looked confused; she would have seen David with his newborn baby in the other room.

"It's a surprise to see you here, Mr. Thomas. I just introduced Baby Thomas' pediatrician to your..."

"Well, fuck our lives! It's a small world, after all!" Shelly desperately facepalmed herself with an exasperated voice that caused the doctor to pause.

Avery realized the situation and diverted the doctor's attention to her. "Nice to meet you, Doctor. I hope you can give me a clearance immediately."

"I just ordered an ultrasound to check on the baby, and then we can process the discharge. I assumed you would do the rest of your prenatal in Boston, right?"

Avery bit her lip and nodded. "I can't wait to be back in Boston."

"Thank you, Doctor. We will leave as soon as Avery finishes with the ultrasound. We were just here for a surprise visit." First, everybody in the room heard the sarcasm in Shelly's voice. Then, her glaring eyes focused on David's.

***

Everything that happened after the OB visit went by quickly. First, Avery felt her body floating around like a feather, weightless. Then her mind drifted off, unable to hear anything around her. The last thing she remembered while in the hospital was Shelly's voice commanding Art.

"I don't care, Hon. Make him. I will not let him fly with us."

Art didn't contest what his wife said. Instead, he tapped David's shoulder and motioned for him to follow outside. Avery felt like she had gone into a deep slumber, unable to decipher the following events. When she came around, she realized they were already seated on the plane going to Boston.

"Do you need anything, Ave?" Shelly asked worriedly.

"I'm good, Shells. How long had we been here?"

"Oh God, Ave!" Shelly embraced her tightly; how long had Avery been out of it? Art's face was in disbelief, mouth opened. Then, with only their eyes talking, the couple inferred the upsetting events had zoned out Avery from the hospital to the airport.

"I'm okay, you guys. Don't worry about me too much. I'm just tired, that's all." Avery gradually removed herself from Shelly's embrace. Then, with her eyes closed, she pressed her body towards her reclined seat and drooped. She wished everything that happened in LA was a memory she could also zone out of.

Exhausted wouldn't describe even half of Avery's physical and mental state. Her mind was empty of thoughts, yet it felt like it would explode any minute. Her body was numb, though she had rested in the hospital bed for twenty-four hours. She felt weak, physically unable and mentally unwilling to move. The food Shelly forced her to eat didn't satisfy her palate.