7. What about my grade?

I tried to focus today but I couldn't and I knew the reason why. Zoey came in late as usual but hasn't looked at me all period.

Maybe because I made her mad yesterday? Or maybe she saw me at the center? I don't know for sure. I don't think she saw me. But I did see her, crying. Why was she there anyway?

I had a chance to run into her but she walked out of the building before I could do anything and instead hid from her.

"Miss Dalton."

The lady at the front desk called. I sat back down, watching this whole sudden interaction.

Zoey waved her way and signed to her. I examined her from where I sat, noticing the tissue in her hand while she signed with the other.

The two only talked for a brief moment before Zoey turned her heels and headed for the exit. I could see her eyes, how red they looked. I quickly slid down in my seat and covered my face with the clipboard. Listening to her as she pushed through the doors and heading them shut.

I stood up and handed the stuff back to the lady, and jogged out the door.

My eyes scanned the parking lot, searching for which car was hers. But I didn't see her anywhere. I realized my heartbeat was quick but slowed down as I walked towards my car.

"Today, class, we'll be discussing and trying out haiku's," Mrs. Brown screeched as she walked by my desk. I could hear Rita on my left, talking to Brady and I assumed he was just nodding along to whatever she was rambling about.

But during all this, my eyes were stuck on Zoey. Her head was down on the desk. Her outfit today was a mixture of light blues and white but her mood wasn't matching it.

Maybe she's tired? It seemed from my angle that she was sleeping but I would've assumed Mrs. Brown would've catched her by now and sent her to the principal's office.

But she hasn't, which made me want to believe that she's a teacher's pet. Or that student that gets to do whatever and gets a free hall pass for everything.

Either way, this somehow made me interested. I looked at her more closely. Was she sleeping? Taking a nap? It seemed like it. She was breathing lightly. So maybe, just maybe she was sleeping.

I started to focus back on Mrs. Brown again when suddenly my eyes flickered towards the stirring girl. I listened as she yawned, sitting up and stretching out her arms and twisting her back. Her eyes never met mine.

So she was sleeping in class. And more importantly, didn't get in trouble. Weird.

My gaze was on Mrs. Brown now but I could see Zoey with my peripheral vision, that she was looking around, perhaps letting her eyes adjust themselves.

But I felt them on me and my dumbass looked her way. Her doe eyes really made me think. What was going through her mind? What if she saw me at the center?

In the back of my mind, I heard Mrs. Brown say something about taking out paper but I didn't move. Our stare off was getting more intense and I felt myself wanting to break eye contact but she wasn't looking away. She was committed and I couldn't beat her.

I looked forward before pulling out of paper and a pencil. Yet when I glanced back at her, her eyes were still drilling holes into mine. But she hurriedly got out her stuff, reading the board that we were doing haiku's today.

I tried not to watch her after that but our stare off messed with me. Why was she looking at me for so long? From the looks of her, she doesn't scare me. But her eyes got me too overwhelmed and I don't know why, exactly.