30. I'm sorry

Well, she's late.

I dropped Brady off a few minutes ago, now I've just been sitting here, alone in this dead silent library. Either she forgot or she ditched me. She's forgotten before and one time I assume she ditched but it never happened.

Is there traffic? No, not in Yellow Meadows, the roads are always empty.

Did something happen? I mean, she probably wouldn't tell me anyway.

Should I text her? No, she'll be in a matter of minutes. I'm overthinking it.

Five minutes passed, I looked at the time, I have an hour and a half until Brady's session is over.

He said it would be a long one because they're doing walking exercises without any help. It'll end at 4:30 pm.

It's 3:00 pm. Amazing.

I sat there on my phone, staring at her icon. Should I text her?

No.

But what if something happened?

No, it's none of my business.

The library double doors burst open violently and out of Zoey, speed walking over to me. She looked flushed again, her whole face red. She waved, coming towards me, and swiftly took the seat across the table.

I could hear her panting up a storm, unsteady breaths escaping her mouth as she began to relax in the chair. Her hair was wild and frizzy, like a big gust of wind blew against it on the way here. She kept her gaze low, setting her bag down on the floor, and leaned it against the table leg.

She grabbed my book from my side and opened it up to the page with the poem. Leaning to the side, I heard her unzip her bag and soon place her phone out. After scooting in her chair, she attempted to fix her hair yet it did not make a difference, it still looked messy.

I'm not saying it looked bad, it's just she usually has it combed out and looks neat and shiny. I didn't mind it, she still looked nice— fine. She looked fine. A little different from normal, that's all.

My phone buzzed:

Zoey:
Sorry I'm late

Traffic was bad

My brow arched at her, she didn't look at me at all, keeping her gaze between the paper and her phone, waiting for my response or acceptance, I suppose.

But that's weird because... I know she's lying. I could feel her foot bouncing up and down on the floor. She was thinking about something.

Me:
Weird

There's never any traffic

Zoey:
Yeah weird

You ready to start?

Okay, she's changed the subject once again. I'm not surprised but now I'm getting the feeling that something did happen and it happened a few moments ago.

I nodded and she did too, vaguely though.

Zoey:
So has anything happened with your dad?

She still has looked at me yet.

Me:
No, it's just been me and my mom

Zoey:
Right sorry I forgot about that

I pressed my lips together, looking over at my notebook.