40. Thanks for listening

The Carnival Date part 3

-To be continued-

I glanced back at Zoey and gestured for her to get in the car, which she did right away, before I faced Harrison, staying by my car. I heard her lock the door, allowing me to feel a little less nervous as he approached. At this point, I didn't know what to expect from Harrison. It was dark, late at night and we were outside the carnival where no one was around. And the only thing between him and Zoey was my car and me.

"Hiding the deafy away, aren't ya?" he opposed, walking closer. Hands in his pockets, still dragging his feet along the ground. When I didn't answer his question, he asked another one. "On a little date, huh?"

I breathed calmly through my nose, glancing down at my feet, and took a step forward before asking, "What do you want, Mack?" I met his gaze through the darkness. The moonlight was the only light source to show parts of his face.

"Oh," he let out a low chuckle from deep within his chest at a lowness I've never heard before coming from him. "I just wanna talk to your date, you know? Make amends," he specified.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen," I told him, curling my fingers up, and making a fist on both sides of me. My tone was firm and stern, which I thought would give him the hint.

I watched as he poked his tongue against the inside of his cheek. Parting his lips, I could see with the bit of light that he was biting down on it, hard even, as he asked: "... Why not, Campbell?" He stepped closer to our faces were inches away.

I felt myself panic, however, I played it cool, saying, "She doesn't want to talk to you."

"Did she tell you that?" He smirked, "Thought she was deaf?"

"Well, I'm surprised you remembered that yourself," I said, dryly.

He paused at my comment and got even closer, "What's that supposed to mean?"

I did everything in my power to fight off the urge to punch him in his ugly ass face, for Zoey's sake, anyway. "I suggest you back up, Mack," I warned him, my eyes not leaving his as my jaw clenched.

And it seemed like he caught on to my body language, he chuckled, "I see. Don't want to make a sense in front of your lady."

"Back the fuck up," I swore through my clenched teeth, stepping forward angrily, making him jump back.

His brows knitted together, "Watch it, Campbell. Seems like deafy's concerned," he pointed behind me. At the mention of her, I glanced over my shoulder to see her watching the two of us, closely through the car window. "It's funny. Seeing you go soft for her," he commented in a snarky tone that made my blood boil, "knowing you used to be such a fuckboy, I expected you to fuck her then hand her to me. Let me have a turn. What happened to you, Campbell? Where'd you go? Cause all I see now is a pushover, for her, because the crybaby is turning you into a pussy."

Crybaby?

"What'd you call her-?"

"Hey, Harrison!" A new voice chimes in, causing him to turn and me to look past him to see... Lexi. "Your date's looking for you, why don't you go find her?"

I swallowed when I saw her, letting myself calm down as she took over with Harrison.

He laughed, "And who are you, Washington, Campbell's mommy?" fully turning to face her as she strolled towards us.

Once she got close enough to him, "I'm his friend, dickwad," she shoved her shoulder into his as she passed to stand next to me, "and a good one too." Just then, she kicked him in the crouch, causing him to fall on his knees and groan, swearing. Too surprised to comprehend what just happened in front of me, I didn't even realize Lexi had grabbed my arm and opened my car door for me to get in. I did and so did she, getting into the seat behind mine.