23. You're not her boyfriend

Things seem odd at school now. Ever since that video came out, I've been in hell. When the first week passed, I tried my hardest to figure out who posted the video because the account was deleted a few hours after it was posted. But I've had no luck. And during that, people laughed, made fun of me, and sometimes, I walked in on kids bullying Zoey, which I've tried to help with but she's handled it herself.

It's been a couple of weeks and Zoey has seemed to be distant from everything. Things have been going normal with me and Brady. After his suspension when he saw the video of me and Zoey, he was mad at first that I ditched him to go "hang" with her but had to forgive me. Why? I've driven him to his sessions and back home. So he had to or else, he wouldn't have a ride.

He's said his cast will be coming off soon so I won't have to drive him anymore. But all the times I willingly walked Brady to the front, I hadn't run into Zoey. I wanted to bump into her at the center or the store again. I asked my mom if I needed to stop by the store after driving Brady around and even if she said no; nonetheless, I still went but she was never there when I was.

Ever since we kissed, I thought maybe she'd be all over me after that. She made the first move, anyway. However, I've come to learn that she's not like that. But it still rocked my brain. She can't exactly tell me what's going on. Yet we have alternatives for communicating. We haven't met up in a while for the project. I've attempted to do it without her since I can't save this till the last minute but it still felt odd.

Why wasn't she interacting with me in class anymore? Did the kiss not mean anything to her? Or was she just messing with me? Didn't she like the kiss? I was worried in an unhealthy way over this whole thing.

But I have to remember, we're not dating. So why am I worrying so much?

She's been coming in late to every English class. Doesn't participate as much and barely looks at me during it and Ethnic Studies. All I can do is stare as she doodles. She won't look back at me like she used to. I can't help but wonder if something was bothering her.

Whether something was going on at home, a personal matter, or even our kiss. I didn't like this feeling in my stomach. I missed the things we used to do. Was she avoiding me? I decided to break her silence, no pun intended and poked her arm. Her head snapped to face me and I froze. Her eyes looked puffy and red.

She raised her brows at me as I was taking a long time but when I opened my mouth, nothing came out. I didn't know what to say. She was impatient with me and looked away, returning her gaze to her paper.

Maybe I'm crowding her and she's suffocating. I only texted her once and she never responded. She doesn't look fine and she doesn't want to talk. I don't know what to do.

Does she know about the video? Maybe she saw it and read the comments. Does she have Instagram? Snapchat? Any social media? No clue.

She doesn't seem like that type of girl to care about it though.

What about the bullying? She could have guessed as to why that happened. But maybe not. In a world with no sound, I guess you have to rely on people's body language, their facial expressions, so you can't truly know what's going on exactly.

But what if it's not the video? What it's us. No. There is no 'us'. What if it was the kiss? Did she regret it? Was it a mistake? Was she not supposed to do that because— what if she already has a boyfriend?

No. No, she wouldn't be that cruel. Yet how would I know? I barely fucking know the girl. No, what if she does?

No. I'm hurting over nothing. What is wrong with me? What's going on with me? I need... I need—