58. Love?

Spring Break Part 9

The familiar aroma flooded my nostrils as I walked off the plane. It was good to be home again. Zoey was right next to me, her hand tightly clutched in mine. As we walked down the ramp, all I could think of was her smile.

We eagerly awaited our suitcases as we approached the baggage claim. We were ready to get out of the airport and away from the congestion. We made our way to the exit after picking up our bags. The Fresno wind welcomed us as soon as we stepped outside, and the smell of grass filled our noses.

I could tell by the way Zoey and I looked at each other that we were both thinking about how lucky we were to be back in such a lovely area. With her hand in mine, Zoey dragged me out the door. And the moment we stepped foot outside the airport, the heat assaulted us. We were oppressed and found it difficult to breathe since it seemed as though a thick blanket had been laid over us. Although I had spent my entire life in California, it felt as though we were still in Arizona.

When we arrived at the airport's front, Zoey came to a halt, tapping on her phone before holding it out for me to take. I took it for some reason, but I noticed she had dialed Peter. She gave me a thumbs-up before I brought the phone up to my ear and listened as the rings continued. He didn't pick up until after three rings in.

"Hello?" Peter's voice rang out through the line.

"Hi, Peter," I answered, my voice light and bubbly. "It's Levi."

"Levi," Peter chuckled, "hey," he added cheerfully. "I'm pulling up to the airport now. I'll be there shortly."

A wave of joy washed over me as I processed Peter's words. His friendly tone has always been appreciated.

"Great," I said, a sigh of relief on my face. "We're waiting near the airport terminal's entrance. See you in a minute," I said as I hung up the phone.

I handed the phone back to Zoey, a wide smile stretching across my face. I felt a warm glow of excitement grow within me as we walked a few steps away from the entrance, finding a shady spot to stand beneath.

The sun bored down relentlessly, causing beads of sweat to form on our temples. Despite the sweltering heat, Zoey seemed unaffected, her happiness radiating from her doe eyes, and I marveled at her ability to be content in the simplest of moments.

With our hands intertwined, we swung our arms back and forth, creating a rhythmic movement that mirrored the excitement bubbling within us. I watched her, mesmerized by the effortless way she seemed to dance.

As we waited, time seemed to stretch out, like a fleeting moment that lingered just long enough to make it memorable. The sound of arriving planes, the chatter of people, and the distant hum of cars merging into one harmonious background symphony. I found solace in the familiar melody.

Suddenly, my gaze shifted, my eyes locking onto a familiar silver sedan turning into the airport drop-off zone.

I squeezed Zoey's hand gently, to get her attention, and when I did, Zoey turned her head toward the direction I was pointing and her face broke into a radiant grin. We exchanged excited glances before stepping forward, moving closer to the arrival area, and pulling our luggage along with us.

The car got closer and closer with each passing second, until it finally came to a stop a few feet away. Peter stepped out of the car, scanning the crowd for us. When our gazes collided, Peter's eyes lit up with recognition, and he smiled.

"Hey, there you are!" Peter exclaimed, his voice warm and sincere. He walked the distance in fast strides, hugging Zoey first, then me. As I returned Peter's embrace, my heart leapt with appreciation.