11. I love Nirvana

-Recap-

The wild picked up and caused my hair to fly around. Probably looked crazy because of it. I walked against it and was almost to the front when faint sounds of heavy footsteps appeared to be coming from behind me. Like someone was running.

And I didn't have much time to ponder what it could be without looking back because the sound became louder until it came right next to me. The impact was not enough to knock me over but I did manage to stumble forward.

Someone, I didn't know who, suddenly grabbed onto my arm, linking mine with theirs. Startled, I snapped my head around to see the last person I wanted to see today.

Zoey. 

-To be continued-

With her purse strap on her other shoulder, she tightened her grip, locking her arm with mine. I was confused as she looked at me before pointing behind her.

Furrowing my eyes, I glanced back and saw a sketchy man in all black with his hands in his pockets, lurking in the background.

What the hell?

The man soon walked off after my gaze. Zoey sees this but keeps her hold on me. I understood what was happening and didn't push her off.

He was following her.

I looked forward and pulled her with me into the store. Going through the automatic opening doors, I made sure the man didn't change his mind and came back.

Once we were down an aisle, I let her go. A little out of breath, she looked to the entrance, watching it for a moment.

I took the time to get my mind straight. She's here. We ran into each other. After I thought of . . . her during a hookup. It's okay. She'll never know. How would she?

She turned to me and poked my arm as she signed and mouthed, "Thank you."

Confusion arose in me as I pretended to text, mouthing, "Phone?"

She shook her head, making an X with her arms. She didn't have hers with her. Um, why? What teenager doesn't have their phone with them at all times these days?

Zoey doesn't.

Glancing back at the door, I spoke slowly to her, enunciating my words. "Was he following you?"

She nodded.

I wanted to ask why but didn't think I'd get that much information from her mouthing everything.

"Just some creep," she added.

I nodded, pressing my lips together. Pondering if I should leave to get my food.

Some seconds passed and we both just stood around. Eye contact sometimes but would look away. She poked my arm to look.

"What are you up to?" She mouthed. I noticed her lips were so pink.

I cleared my throat again, averting my eyes from them. "Just running some errands. Shopping." I said and she read my lips.

"What are you shopping for?" She asked.

I, with hesitation, got out my phone and pulled up the list in my mom and I's conversation.

Showing my screen, she took the phone out of my grip to see it better. I was going to ask for it back but didn't. As far as I know, she's not the type of person to run away with someone else's phone.

She was smiling, "there's a lot of noodle brands. Is your family Italian?" When she mouthed words, I could hear a faint whisper, helping me hear the word correctly.