53. The Lunch Lounge

Spring Break Part 4

"I think," I furrowed my brows together, sticking out my upper lip to touch my nose as I scanned the menu, "We'll both have BLTs."

The waiter grinned, scribbling on her notepad, "All right. And for drinks?"

Zoey:
I want a Coke

"Uh– coke please, for both of us."

"Okay. Coming right up, stay put you guys," the woman cheerfully spun on her heels and walked away from our booth. We made the right choice by sitting in the back. It was more quiet than the front; being a huge line of people and screaming kids running around, whining to have some chicken nuggets.

Sitting across from Zoey, fiddling with the napkin on the table as we wait for the sandwiches. It's a nice little diner with checkered tables and vintage jukeboxes strewn everywhere. The aroma of fried food pervades the air, and I can hear sizzling bacon coming from the kitchen.

Yet despite everything going on around us, all I can think about was Zoey.

She was fidgeting with her hair, glancing down at the menu, and avoiding my gaze. I can see she's bothered by something. I noticed it on the car ride. She stared out the window for a long time and didn't move her head like she was spacing out. I tried to ask her if she was okay when we got here but she got out of the car so fast, I didn't get to it.

I reached over and put my hand on hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze, waiting for her to look my way as I slowly asked. "Is everything okay?" trying to hide the concern in my expression.

Her eyes fluttered up from reading my mouth, she nodded, a tiny smile on her face, but her gaze still avoided to look at mine. My heart sank as I realize something was really wrong. I took a deep breath and attempt to think positively. At least, we're here together, right? She encouraged me to go with her to Arizona. I can't be the reason for her odd behavior.

I pulled out my phone, to start a conversation.

Me:
Have you been here before?

Zoey:
Yeah. We used to come here after midterms and finals

Then, the question pops.

Me:
You and jacob?

And I watched as she bit her lip, hesitantly typing.

Zoey:
Mhm

Oh, man. It's about him, isn't it? She's distant because of him. Thinking of him. Maybe she didn't think about when coming back here that she'd have a hard time, knowing the last time she was here. She had to have known that. That that would come up. The thought of him and the sadness that lead to it. I hope she's aware.

Zoey:
I'm gonna use the bathroom

She excused herself from the booth, leaving me at the table alone. Even though she didn't acknowledge it, I nodded and watched as she proceeded across the diner, slipping past other customers to get to the back. And when she was out of sight, I sighed and leaned back, only to see a girl walking my way as soon as Zoey was gone.

Dressed in skimpy clothing and reminded me of Rita, she beamed a bold smile. I couldn't help but feel uneasy due to the girl's attention to me. She had a smirk on her lips and was leaning on the table. I shuffled in my seat as my unease grew.

"Hey," she started, looking m up and down, "I saw you walk in and uh–was wondering if I could have your number?"

"Um–no. I have—" saying it, she's not here, "a girlfriend."