36. Better than a no

Triple update! Hahahaha.

That's the last time I'm letting a girl slap me. Cause that shit fucking hurt.

But the good news is, I made it to English and Miss Young gave me a tardy slip. Mrs. Brown gave me nothing but pity when I handed it to her, seeming all hurt and fragile.

Yeah, I know. Bad person. But I got fucking slap, I should get some sympathy.

When I got to my desk, Zoey was already there, writing a poem for an activity. Mrs. Brown said I could join in on Zoey's work since it was a partner thing.

But Zoey didn't look at me when I walked in or sat down.

Brady gave me a look of concern, pointing to his cheek and shrugging at me. I told him I would tell him later.

And Rita looked overdramatically devastated by my injury. I rolled my eyes.

Turning my attention back to Zoey, she was currently scribbling on the paper, writing as quickly as she could to get the words down while it was fresh in her mind.

I mean, that's what she taught me. I guess I learn fast.

When she seemed to be done, I looked over to read it.

The boy drove his way to her,
With his suspensions low,
And his intentions are lower.

He stumbled into the home,
Searched for his lady,
And found her.

Pain growing inside herself,
Not wanting anything else but him,
To caress her asleep,
And to like her for her.

Just as I finished reading, I felt a hand lightly caress my cheek. My eyes flickered to my right and Zoey seemed focused. Slowly, she ran the tips of her fingers up my irritated skin, her nails, scratching me, I purred against it. Letting out a hitched breath, I met her doe eyes again and she removed her hand to kiss it and place it back on my cheek.

I'm not an idiot.

Her poem was ... based on me.

When her hand slipped away from my skin, I just stared. At her lips. Into her eyes. I...

"Ms. Dalton, Mr. Campbell, are you done with the activity?" Mrs. Brown ripped me out of her trance.

"Uh, yeah," I nodded, handing it to her and seeing... Zoey had already put my name on it, next to hers.

Then she's ... not mad. Right?

*****

After English, Zoey and I walked to Ethnic Studies. Yes, together. Not together but side by side.

All class period, I tried to talk to Lexi yet she kept asking to go to the bathroom or just straight up ignored me.

Great. Just great.

When class was over, Zoey and I parted ways and I headed to the cafeteria to go see Brady, cause I promised him I'd tell him what happened. And since Louis wasn't here, Harrison's still suspended, and Lexi's ignoring me, I'll have no problem hanging out with Brady.

After getting my pizza, I find our table and see Brady already waiting. He waved me over and I jogged toward him. Sitting across from him this time, he started it off.

"Spill it, man, what happened," he said while munching on his food. On the edge of his seat, waiting for juicy tea. I told him what Lexi asked me to do but didn't mention our deal, just made it seem like she only wanted my help.