39. Buzz kill

The Carnival Date part 2

"Alright, two tickets, please!" The man said, standing in front of the structure for bumper cars.

Handing him two of mine, he motions us to give him our wrists, and he writes the number 6 on mine and 7 on Zoey's. After, he let us through to the door to a long hallway, leading to a large room where the cars were parked against the wall. Zoey stayed close as groups of people passed us, exiting the gated section. Her arm brushing mine, I got chills, my hairs rising in stimulation. In a good way.

She was bouncing up and down on her heels, glancing around. She seemed excited for this one. More excited than the gravitron. Which got me excited as well.

"Alrighty!" A lady in a carnival uniform walked out in front of the next group, and us. "Before we get you to your cars, I have to go over the rules and requirements. Please listen! Please finish eating and drinking before riding, we do not allow food or drinks on the flooring for obvious reasons. We advise you to wear closed-toe shoes for your safety and adequate clothing. Keep your hands, arms, and feet in the car at all times. Remain seated, please! There have been many times where we've had kids jump out of their car during the round," she disclosed in a chirpy tone as she continued. Later on, when she finished her whole spiel, she began to call numbers.

I glanced down at Zoey staring at the floor, arms folded neatly on her chest. And she didn't hear any of that. Cool.

"Number 1 and 2, please step forward!" The lady yelled from inside the flooring where the cars were. Two boys walked in and she showed them to their red and blue vehicles. She went on to call up people with the correct numbers and it was eventually our turn.

Grabbing Zoey's hand, I pulled her through the gate and onto the pit. The lady grins and leads us to two cars in the corner. Zoey walked before me, quick on her feet, and sit down in her green car. I say thank you to the lady as she gestures for me to do the same as Zoey. I grinned and sat down. Squeezing and bending my long legs into the front, I managed to fit in perfectly yet not that comfortably.

Zoey looked back at me with a big smile plastered on her face, tapping the wheel. I laughed, copying her until the lady got our attention again with the sudden showing of a bright digital countdown clock above the exit gate.

"Okay, please, everyone pay attention to me for just one second! Make sure you are safely secure in your car with the seat belt," she announced, strolling out of the ring. The clock started to count down and when it hit zero, a loud buzzer went off before everyone turned their wheels and stepped on the gas.

Zoey's backlight immediately flashed on and I could see her already aggressively turning her wheel to the left to get off the wall. I did the same, getting out before her and leaving her behind me to struggle.

There had to have been about twenty other cars on the floor, going nuts. Some kids, not knowing what they were doing, some adults with babies in their laps, screaming and others were teenagers. Some that might go to Yellow Meadows, and I just don't know it yet. All I can say is that everybody was rough on the floor, bumping into each other at a fast speed.

Just then, I'm jerked forward by a force behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see a snickering Zoey backing up and driving away from me.

"Oh no, you don't!" I laughed out, seeing that it was empty in front of me and easy to get to her. Flooring it, I sped up behind her and collided my front with her back bumper, sending her forward slightly. I laughed, seeing her shocked face as she struggled with the wheel.

I left her alone, backing up and driving around the ring with the other riders. Some bumped into me too. Kids laughing their asses off about something stupid and adults just having fun with their kids.