10. Coming from behind

-To be continued-

Zoey:
Okay. Ask me any question.

Me:
Where's the craziest place you've done it?

Zoey:
Barnes and noble bathroom

I stared at her text. Excuse me?

Me:
Yeah right, you could just be saying that

Zoey:
I guess. You either believe me or not.

I met her eyes before she took a moment.

Zoey:
We're getting off track here. What's your theme?

No. I had more questions. She had sex in a Barnes and noble bathroom? I mean, it makes sense since she reads books. But I'm not sure if I fully believe it. She looks too . . . innocent to be that kind of girl.

Me:
I guess good vs. evil

Zoey:
Great. Now let's start to brainstorm here. What comes to your mind when you think of good?

The thing I thought of was sex but I didn't type that.

Me:
Me.

Zoey:
Okay and evil?

Now this time I didn't hold back. I felt confident in my answer and proudly pressed send.

Me:
Harrison Mack

Okay, now that I think about it, I should've typed his name. It's true but completely irrelevant.

Zoey:
Who's that?

What? Does she not know? She must since that day at lunch . . . oh wait. I did it again, didn't I?

Me:
He's the guy that dumped the water on you last week

I read her expression and it looked promising.

Zoey:
That's the asshole's name? Figures

I began to type but then stopped. The conversation was getting dry and I didn't know how to recover it. Then I looked up at his name again. Harrison Mack. Hm.

I remembered the look of sadness Zoey had on her face when I found her in the bathroom. Soaked and shaking from the chilled water. She looked frightened.

Or when I heard about her slapping Mack in the face by her car. I never saw the video Brady said he'd send me but I could imagine it. I pondered on asking about that.

Yet I don't want to be pushy when she's helping me out with this whole project. I'm not a reporter or anything, why should I care?

Me:
If he's ever bothering you, you can text me

Wait. No. What? Why did I send that?

And she's taking a long time to respond. I didn't look up from my phone as I could feel her eyes drilling into my forehead.

No. No, no, no. I ain't doing this.

The three dots came up and I waited there.

Zoey:
Thanks but I think I can handle him

Me:
Do you still take that class with him?

Zoey:
How would you know?