CHAPTER 22

"Beomgyu, what brings you here?"

Taehyun was shocked upon seeing Beomgyu in his doorstep. The man's eyes sure look melancholic; a part of him is saying he misses Taehyun and a part of him is still confused about why his best friend is keeping everything a secret. About Taehyun, he is also aware of the pain Beomgyu and Hueningkai's family has to suffer. Call him selfish and greedy but as much as Beomgyu can't afford to lose his brother, he isn't willing to bring everyone down in his family too.

About Hueningkai, who is the primary reason of all the awkward distance between them, he will already be discharged tomorrow according to his doctor. Taehyun went home to bring back some of the unnecessary things they once or twice used in the hospital. Also, he is going to fix Hueningkai's luggage so they can immediately go home and meet Hueningkai's long lost family which also includes Beomgyu.

Beomgyu's first attempt to talk almost failed upon hearing his voice cracked the moment he opened his mouth and let go of some air and sound. He has been searching for his brother in all of the other places he could think and now, he will find out that the place he himself considered a safe place, which is in Taehyun's arms is eventually going to hurt him and his younger brother.

"Beomgyu, are you alright?"

"I'm confused. How did you find my brother? Are you involved with the bullying?"

Taehyun's eyes widened after hearing Beomgyu asking about Hueningkai. "So he already knew?", he thought to himself. And after asking himself about it, tons of supporting questions filled up his brain. How did he find out? How is he going to treat him afterwards? Are they still going to be friends? Are they going to punish him? Is he going to trust him still?

"Beomgyu, I promise you that I only want to protect Hueningkai that's why I kept him."

"Even from us?"

"I know I was wrong and now I am taking advantage of your family's distraught. I kept him from Yeonjun and Soobin. That day, he is so scared of the gunshot he heard; the same gunshot that went through his window. I was the only one who picked him up and he had a hard time recovering from the trauma. So I asked him if he can still continue heading to our school but he said no. And so I kept him with me and I tried my very extent to protect him."

"Taehyun, I don't know whether to be thankful or not."

"We can only be fair with each other once I get what I need. I am really sorry for making a living out of your family."

"I transferred the money to your account since you badly needed the money. Are we wearing the same shoes now?"

"Beomgyu, are you going to treat me like a stranger again?"

"If you feel devastated about our distance, I can give you another chance. Also, I don't think Hueningkai will be safer in someone else's custody."

"I can still imagine the three of us building our tomorrow together."

"If that's the case then you should bring me back my brother."

It was when their conversation was interrupted with a sudden noise in the bush near them. The both of them turned their heads to the left and observed the bizarre movements of the bushes that surround Taehyun's backyard. Each one of them had no time looking at each other's eyes for consent; one went ahead of the other. Taehyun is three steps ahead of his best friend Beomgyu.

It was supposed to be the final step to reach the moving bushes but Taehyun hesitated to finish the trail. Seeing a man kneeling down with only one knee on the ground hiding behind the bushes, Taehyun felt a sudden cacophony of terror in his brain, which almost shut his system down. And in as fast as lightning, the man behind the bush who happened to be Yeonjun stood up and pricked a thin, sharp object straight to Taehyun's neck.

"Taehyun!"

The man who is behind Taehyun shouted. Despite being distanced to him after finding out he is keeping his brother, Beomgyu's heart twitched in pain the moment he saw Taehyun's blood dripped down his neck and even crawled unto Yeonjun's skin. That look in the verdict's eyes, it's as if he is still not contented of the bloodshed he just made.

"Now you know what will happen with your younger brother."

"My younger brother?"

Beomgyu froze in a minute and Yeonjun found it the best time for him to escape. Taehyun on the other hand looked at the night sky, smiling while the tears are falling from his eyes. The sky is full of stars, two of which are the stars Hueningkai and him named.

"The star that shines lesser than the other is me. I may be inconsistent but at least I can still make someone happy. Am I right hyung? And you are the brighter star; lighting my whole life when I was allured by the darkness."

Those words from Hueningkai's sweet lips are piercing Taehyun's heart more than the splinter had penetrated his neck. Those recollection, in which he responded, "A star can be the brightest but it can still die any moment.".

"Beomgyu."

Taehyun looked back at his friend before he felt the weight of his body pressuring his legs. They are both worried, of the same person they are quite sure, Hueningkai. If only he is stronger enough, Taehyun could've run away in thin air just to ensure Hueningkai's safety. But his body gave up, the amount of blood his wound donated to the cold ground is a way more monstrous than what he is expecting.

"Taehyun!"

Beomgyu moved his hand, along with his body to catch Taehyun's from free falling. In his mind, he could still be saved and Hueningkai can be protected as well. The only way to assure both of their safety is meet Yeonjun halfway; meet him at the hospital to where Taehyun and him are both sure Yeonjun is leading to.