Chapter Seventeen

Janvi woke up in the morning feeling dull. She felt that the bleary day loomed ahead of her. She shrugged it off. Veer needed her. She tried calling him but he didn't pick up.

She prepared breakfast as usual for herself and the kids and she preapared something extra for Veer and Sakshi too.

When she reached the hospital, she found that Veer was settled in one of the extra rooms in the wing. She found him curled up in a bed. His eyes held dark shadows underneath. She quietly walked inside the room and shut the door as quiet as possible.

It was all in vain as she saw him stirring and he groaned and sat up.

"You look horrible." She said as he rubbed his tired eyes.

"I feel horrible. I am so tired." He yawned and she walked to his bedside.

"You should sleep. How is your dad faring?"

"He's still in critical condition. I don't want to sleep incase I miss something."

Janvi's heart tugged at his words and she sat across from him and took his hands in hers. "I understand."

But he seemed alone and she wanted to fill every bit of space in his life.

"Are you hungry? I brought breakfast."

He didn't let go of her hands. "Not yet." He said.

"Gross! Get a room!" Sakshi said walking in the room.

Janvi didn't know why they jumped apart. Especially her, she stood up from the bed.

"We're in the room, you weirdo! You walked in!" Veer hissed.

"Whatever loser...Just shut up...your voice is annoying." Sakshi whined slumping on the couch on the corner of the room.

If Janvi thought Veer looked horrible, Sakshi looked worse. She was so used to seeing Sakshi put together that the woman with her hair in a loose braid and in a t-shirt and sweats was a stranger to her.

"Why are you here?" Veer asked.

"I wanted to meet Janvi. I wanted her to run some errands for me."

"Sure. Just tell me." Janvi said but Veer held her hand.

"I don't get why you're making an employee of my office run errands. Just hire a personal assistant."

Sakshi scoffed. "Do you have a death wish? She agreed so what is your problem. Stop being an ahole!"

Janvi felt deja vu creep in. The way they fought was very similar to Asha and Usha fighting. She assumed that this is where they got it from.

"Run your own errands!"

"I don't want to leave the hospital incase...incase..." The words died down in Sakshi's throat.

The air grew awkward and Janvi wanted to escape the room. The tension in the room disappeared as Sakshi's phone rang. She looked at the caller id and walked out of the room to take it.

"I have no problem is running errands, you know." She said after Sakshi left the room.

"I know that. But I don't want you to be taken advantage of like that."

"You two fight a lot like Asha and Usha." She laughed. She wanted to tell him the truth. She promised herself that after all this was over she would.

***

Sakshi moved out of the room. She picked up the phone. "Hey. I'm sorry I had to cancel our meetings. I am just busy at the moment."

"No worries." Dhruv's voice echoed from the phone. "I just called to check upon you."