Chapter Twenty-Three

Janvi sighed as Dhruv took the girls home. She was tired and her arm ached. The day was tiring. Dhruv had told her that he had punched Veer for the mess. She reprimanded him. He also told her that Veer was waiting outside.

    Just then the door clicked open. She knew it was him. She figeted with her hands and focused on them only. She felt her presence beside him.

    "I'm sorry." They both said at the same time.

    Veer shook his head, "No. I should be the one to be sorry. I put you in danger and the kids. And I understand why you hid them from me because look at the mess I made." He swiped a hand across his face.

     "Why didn't you just come talk to me once you knew?" She asked.

    "Why did you never tell me about them?"

  Fair. Janvi thought. "I just...with Nikhil and how we parted ways, I didn't want to burden you. I didn't want to chain you down to me, I guess. Nevertheless, I was dishonest and you had a right to know, for that I apologise."

    A brief silence settled the room.

    "You said you were going to take them away from me, you still plan to do that?" She asked meekly.

    "God. No. No. I was just angry. I wasn't thinking clearly. I won't. But I would like to be involved in their life henceforth."

    "I'd like that."

    She saw relief cross his eyes and she was in a way relieved too. She didn't know what the future held or how she was going to break the news to the girls. She extended her hand towards him and he squeezed it. Whatever happened, she was glad she didn't have to do it alone.

     ***

After a week, when she was getting discharged, Sakshi visited her. Veer was at her beck and call every day so much so that it had started to annoy her slightly.

  Shooing Veer out of the room, Saksi sat down on the chair beside the bed.

   "So...since you're getting discharged today, I wanted to talk to you about the news. Even though a week has passed, the gossip mill hasn't subsided and as much as it makes me the bad guy, it is affecting the party and the elections. The party members have called for Veer's resignation."

     "Oh...Have you told him?"

     "Not yet. I know he won't mind withdrawing from the party. Politics was never his forte."

   Janvi sighed, "There's more?"

     Sakshi took a deep breath as if she was going to deliver a bad news, "But it is very much mine. Someday I would like to contest in the elections too. God knows our country needs more women leaders."

     "I think that's wonderful Sakshi."

    "But...this scandal will follow us. Follow me. And every single time I take the deal, this will the thing to pull me down. So, after careful consideration, I am going to ask you to do something. It will benefit you, Veer and the girls too..."

   "What is it?"

   "I think the fire will be put out once you both get married."

   Janvi just raised her brows.

   Sakshi continued, "I know. I know. I am forcing your hand. But, it will greatly help me in my political career if you both do this. And, I'm aware that all is not lost between you two."

    "I.." Janvi didn't know what to say. "I was already married, Sakshi. Don't you think taking a second husband will make things worse?"

   "The thing is...there are no politicians who are clean, all of them have their scandals and secrets. We still live in a traditional society and traditions solve a lot of scandals. Just think about it. Okay?"