Chapter Fourteen

When Sakshi woke up that day she had a blaring headache. All the events of last night tumbled into her memory one by one.

  She took a bath and she remembered that she didn't bring any clothes with her. She was planning to go home right after the party.

She looked at her old clothes and they were all too sexy to wear it to work. Noticing a black handbag she opened it and she saw it was Siddharth's clothes.

It contained a pristine white shirt and his work slacks and a neatly folded underwear.

   "How fortunate! Thank. You. Mr. Sandhini." She whistled and grabbed his shirt.

She paired it off with an old slacks she found and tied her hair into a bun and walked down the dining room.

She craved carrot ginger soup so much but she'd rather gouge her own eyes out than ask the Sandhinis for anything 

She went to the dining room and she subconsciously pulled a chair beside Siddharth. But she remembered what had happened last night.

She put back the chair and sat beside her aunt-in-law.

Her husband who liked to bury his head inside his phone whenever he was near her, lifted his head up and looked at her shocked.

  She raised an eyebrow at him. He looked away. That always worked. She looked at his clothes which were wrinkled and she wanted to crackle like hyena.

"Good morning." She said to the elders. But they steadily ignored her.

  Even Siddharth looked up at them.

    A maid placed a bowl of carrot ginger soup in front if her. She exhaled a sigh of relief.

    "Did you like the party?" The elder Mrs. Sandhini asked before she even sipped one spoon of the soup.

"Yes. Thank you for throwing it." Sakshi said.

"I thought you wouldn't with all the ruckus your brother caused." Her uncle-in-law said.

"What is that boy's problem?"

"His intentions were good. He thought someone was misbehaving with me." She defended Veer.

    "Was he ?" Mrs. Sandhini asked.

  And all the while her husband looked at his phone and sipped his coffee. He was enjoying this, she thought.

     "He wasn't. But Veer- "

     "I thought the Rane's would have more class and decorum."

      "And I thought the Sandhinis would have more tact than bring a mistress to their own anniversary party. " She snapped.

    Instant regret filled her. Siddharth had stopped sipping his coffee and glared at her. His gaze asked how dare she talk back to beloved uncle and aunt? But she was tired.

    She glared back at him with equal hatred.

   Mrs. Sandhini laughed like one would laugh at a child, "You must've misunderstood. "

     "Ah so it's misunderstanding for Sandhinis but unclassy for the Ranes, I see."

Sakshi was proud that she could pull such jabs even when she was hungover.

   The patriarch finally slammed the table like a toddler who didn't get his way, "Siddharth! It seems you can't keep your wife in check."

      "Sakshi." That's all he said. After 5 years of marriage he had said her name in a warning tone. He meant, shut up .