Chapter three

After Mrs. Rustagi had left, she quickly pushed him out of her way and walked out. Her face was flushed and she was sweating through the palms even in an heavily air conditioned room.

She looked around the room to search for her husband and found him standing near the bar. "Let's leave." She clipped. She was still angry at him for bringing her here.

"We're not leaving." Nikhil said coolly.

"Fine. I'm leaving then." She barely turned around when he grabbed her elbow pulling her back. "Nikhil!" She hissed.

"You're not going anywhere. You understand?" He whispered harshly in her ear.

"Trouble in paradise?" It was Mrs.Rustagi.

His grip on her arm lossened and a smile lit his face. "No, Mrs. Rustagi, we were just playing."

She laughed, "Just like how you were playing in the washroom?"

  Janvi panicked as she felt Nikhil's hot gaze in her. "Yes." She managed a laugh. Mrs. Rustagi left after getting her drink and she looked away not meeting her husband's eyes.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Nothing." She said. His eyes looked beyond her and she turned out to see, Veer exiting the ladies' room. She whipped her head to look at Nikhil. A stormy expression clouded his features.

"Let's go." He sneered and took her arm guiding them to the car. The car was stuffy and Janvi was scared that Nikhil said nothing. His knuckles were white, gripping the steering wheel.

She took a deep breath and summed up the courage to talk to him, "Nikhil, it is not what you think."

He quickly glared at her before pulking over and slamming the brakes. "Tell me, what should I be thinking?" He hissed turning to her.

She couldn't find her voice. His face was so red in anger, she thought he would hit her but she shed her thoughts. Nikhil would never hit her.

"He just came in. I didn't even talk to him."

"What about what Mrs. Rustagi said?"

Janvi sweated through her palms and wrenched her hands. "She saw us and misunderstood."

Nikhil ran a hand through his hair and he leapt forward. He gripped her face and made her look at his dark eyes. "Look at me, I am your husband. I am forgiving you for today but if you pull another stunt like today, you are going to see a different me." He let go of her and started the car.

Forgive her? She didn't apologise. And what if she pulled another one? What would he do? That thought made her shudder.

***

When she came rang her doorbell, it took Dhruv a minute or two to open the door. He opened the door, his hair was messed up and he yawned.

   "The girls? Are they asleep?" She asked entering and removing her sandals.

     "Yeah." He said shutting the door. "What's wrong?" He asked.

  Janvi put on a smile, albeit a fake one. "Nothing. Why do you ask?"

"No. You're upset. Did Nikhil say anything?"

"Nooooo." She said hoping Dhruv wouldn't drag it.

   Dhruv sighed. "God! I hate that guy! Look, once he raises his voice against you, you tell me. Okay?"

    "Yes!" She laughed with a heavy heart.

     "Okay, I'm leaving now. I have an early flight to Mumbai. You should get some sleep."