Chapter Eighteen

Almost two weeks had passed. Janvi tried calling him each and every day but he didn't pick up. She sent him messages occasionally. He did see them but he never replied.

Janvi decided to give him some space. It was not as if she had a choice. Her first priority was always to protect her kids. Everyone else was secondary. Even Veer.

She switched through the television news channels mindlessly sipping whiskey. Her doorbell rang and she peered through the peephole.

"Veer?" She opened the door shocked. Her eyes took in his demeanor. His eyes had shadows under them and were swollen. His jaw had a healthy amount of stubble.

He immediately slumped into her enveloping her in a hug. "Are you okay?" She asked wrapping her arms around his back and rubbing it over again and again.

"I'm not." He whispered in her hair. "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

He moved away from her and she let him walk inside before shutting the door.

"The girls are asleep?"

"Yeah. I tucked them in just a while back."

She looked at him and he seemed aloof as if he was lost in a strange place. Her heart tugged. Guilt washed over her.

"I'm sorry." She said. "I'm sorry I wasn't there."

She saw his eyes glaze over and the coldness settle in but he said nothing. "That's fine." He said, his lips pressed.

She felt eerily like he was lying. But she did want to push it. She was in the wrong so she would make it upto him and give him time. She decided ti be patient.

"You want a drink? I was just having some whiskey...."

He nodded and she poured him a glass. He took it and settled on the couch. She sat down on the same couch. Their knees touched as she switched the channel.

"How is work?" He asked her.

"It's alright. I am not doing much from home anyway. How is Sakshi?"

"Sakshi is fine. We fought today."

She choked on her whiskey. "About what?"

"She seems fine. As if nothing has happened and I guess...I dont know...I just snapped at her." He said.

"Oh... But not everyone expresses grief the same way Veer. She has lost her father too and even if she might not show it, she must miss him."

***

"I don't miss him at all." Sakshi relayed to Dhruv. She saw Dhruv giving her one of his tight lipped smile. The one that he gave when he thought she was lying.

Why wasn't anyone ready to believe that she didn't feel sad or any kind of grief over her father's death? Even Veer had fought over it. Which is why she booked a session with Dhruv.

She didn't know whether whatever she was feeling was valid. She felt nothing. Shouldn't she feel something?

She thought she would blame herself for pushing him towards his early death but still she felt nothing. As if there were a gaping hole right in the middle of her chest.

"Okay if you say you are facing no issues then let's talk about something else. How is Siddharth? Is he good?"

Sakshi leaned her elbows atop the table. "I am talking with my lawyer to draw up divorce papers."

"And does he know that you're going to serve him papers?"

Sakshi thought long and hard about it. Well, she did threaten to divorce him that one day after their fifth wedding anniversary party. She wasn't sure if that counted.