Chapter Nine

Veer stared at her through the rear mirror. He had never been this upset. This was the third time she was messing things with him.

"I'm sorry. I just-" He turned towards Gargi.

Gargi laughed it off, "It's okay. You're a politician and I understand. I have made people sign NDAs. This is not new to me." She said signing on the sheet.

She rubbed his arm, "It's okay. I'm not letting this ruin the wonderful date we've had."

Veer nodded and looked away as Gargi rested her head on his shoulder. The car stopped near Gargi's apartment. Gargi bid her farewell with a kiss on cheek. Vikram started the car. There was a heavy silence inside the car which was suffocating him.

"Vikram. Stop the car and get out." He growled.

"Yes. I'll meet you tomorrow. Sir. Ma'am." He nodded and got out.

He got out of the car and sat in the driver's seat. He looked at Janvi who was busy ignoring him.

"I'm waiting. For an explanation."

Veer watched her stay quiet for a moment. "So am I. I'm waiting for an explanation for this behavior. What are you doing with Gargi?"

"I don't have to explain anything to you." He snapped and took calming breaths. "How much is Sakshi paying you? I am ready to pay you double the amount."

Janvi closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Just because there was this one time I did something morally wrong for money doesn't mean I'm that kind of a person."

"I wasn't saying that. I am just tired of you ruining it everytime. I don't want to do this." He ran a hand through his hair.

"You should talk about that with your sister. I am just someone who works for her."

Veer leaned on the headrest a d sighed. "They don't understand. The only one who did was -" He stopped midway. Veer closed his eyes. He was running away from the fact that whatever she did didn't affect him. When in fact it affected him because it was done by her. That day at the airport, he realised he was running away from her too. He was scared if things got too serious with her then he wouldn't want to leave.

But now, she was married.

"This reminds me of our first date. We drove around the city and I took a longer route and we went to this small place."

"I remember. But, it's in the past now, Veer. I just work under you now. That's all."

"I never said otherwise."

***

The next few days, Janvi was exhausted. She had to constantly keep an eye on Veer and came home only late at night. Veer's dates with Gargi ran longer into the night. She had to make sure Gargi was dropped off and then Veer was dropped off.

She had to wake up early to cook breakfast and ready her daughters' lunchboxes. She had to iron their uniforms and set everything. She was still in the middle of finding a maid for them. The lady in the floor below was helping her with the kids.

She went to the bedroom and woke the twins. They knew they had to get up and they sleepily tugged along.

  "I had a bad dream mummy." Usha tugged her arm as she gathered their bags.

    "I'm sorry baby." She kissed her child's cheek.

     "Maya said that her daddy is a superhero who makes her bad dreams go away. Can pappa do that too? Why isn't he here????" She whimpered.