Chapter Twelve

Sakshi rushed upstairs to their bedroom. She took out a wine glass and filled it and downed it in one go. She wanted to scream. She hated him so much, she thought. He never left an oppurtunity to embarrass her.

She should've known something was wrong when he looked at her strangely when he saw saw her in that saree first. Looking down at her saree, she cringed. It itched her. She wanted to be out of it. She removed it and threw it in the fire place and watched it burn. She poured a glass of wine and slumped on the chair in front of the fire.

   'Now what?' She wondered. Hiding in her room during her own party. That was not Sakshi's behavior. She tipped the glass and gulped the liquid.

    She stood up and her head spun. Taking a deep breath, she rummaged the cupboard. She didn't have her usual clothes here. Just some old ones which she never wore.

   She found a red clothing among them.  It was red satin backless dress with a deep neckline. Sakshi remembered purchasing it all the while blushing when she was shopping for her honeymoon. She thought with her husband, she'd have freedom to dress as she wished.

    She had stowed the dress away when she realized that she had just exchanged one cage for another. Her heart ached so much. Her life was controlled by so many men. She hated it.

     Fuck it. She thought. She decided to slip on the dress and despite it being six years old, it fit her. She washed her face away from the natural elegant make up, the make up artist spent hours on.

     She looked at her reflection, dark circles stood out, there were lines beginning to show on her face. Grabbing her make up bag, she put on make up and completed it with a red lipstick.

     She looked in her purse for her stud earrring which she kept in case her earrings hurt her ears. She slipped them on.

       She put on her heels as she had no other option and walked out. She grabbed the railing to not stumble.

   ***

      Veer was at the party for a while. He stood by his brother-in-law for a while socializing with his other sponsors. He and Siddharth shared an amicable relationship. They were far from friends. The whole family was still mad at him for breaking off the marriage six years ago. He thought that Siddharth and Sakshi might have had an decent marriage but his high hopes were shattered.

       Veer had caught Siddharth dialing someone's phone every two seconds and when he caught the name on the screen it was of a woman named Myra. He let his suspicions slide as she could be anyone. Maybe an important guest.

    His train of thoughts stopped as he saw Janvi entering the house. She was wearing a long black dress which showed off her full curves. But before he could go to her, Sakshi was by her side. 

         He noticed Siddharth leave his side and rush towards a woman who had just entered. He saw his brother-in-law hug her and smile at her. That ticked Veer. He looked towards where Janvi and his sister were standing. Sakshi looked as pale as a sheet of paper. She had a fake smile on her face.

     He knew something was wrong. Sakshi had left Janvi and walked up the stairs. He looked at Siddharth who was still talking to that woman. He felt heat run in his veins.

  Siddharth dragged the girl out of the house. He excused himself to go behind them.

***

    "What are you doing here?"

Nikhil asked her again and she felt gasping for words.

     "I was invited by Sakshi." She said.