20.

R

R.I.P Kasey Winters

2003 - 2021

It seemed the entire town came out to pay their respects to Kasey. That is the downside of living in a small town sometimes, you know everyone, and when something bad happens to one of us, the entire community is affected.

I hadn't told Harry that I would come today. When he came by after I saw him at Kaseys house he told me not worry about coming today. That he would be okay and would catch up with me afterwards. But I couldn't make him do this by himself.

Hundreds of people filed in the back of the funeral hall, it seemed as if every teen from the community had skipped school today to be here. I wondered what the classes looked like today as many of the teachers were here as well.

Word had spread that Kasey had cancer, she didn't look unwell when I saw her, but apparently it was quite aggressive and happened quite suddenly.

I could see Harry down the front with Kaseys mum, he had Kaseys little niece on his hip. Had been that way since I walked in. I couldn't see her parents around but my guess is they weren't far, probably dealing with some arrangement issues.

I couldn't help but smile at how cute Harry was being with that little girl. They seemed to have a really special bond. He was going to make a wonderful father one day when he has his own kids. Our kids.

I stood up the back with Niall, Zayn and Liam, as well as a heap of other kids from our school. Harry hadn't even looked up here to see who was here.

Ms Kilpatrick, our guidance councillor had been speaking with Harry and playing with Willow, I knew she had been helping Harry with a few graduation issues.

As the service unfolded, we got to hear from One of Kaseys cousins and from Harry. I learnt allot of things about their friendship. They were a lot closer than I could have ever imagined. It made my heart break for him more. I didn't realise they were like that for many years.

Kaseys mother went to stand up at the podium to speak, a mixture of photos reeling through the background. A lot with her niece, they must be really close.

"I would personally like to thank everyone for coming here today. Kasey would be overwhelmed with the response and support here. Our families hearts are purely touched by every single one of you. We thank you for your kind words, it's been one of the hardest weeks of my life. A mother should never have to plan their own child's funeral, I wish this pain on absolutely no one. But then I got to thinking, how one would feel growing up without their mother. Especially being a little girl, I know how much I needed my mum growing up and all I can promise you know Kasey is that Willow will grow up knowing you. She will know absolutely everything about you, we will all keep her safe and happy and keep the memory of you alive forever. I can see you in her eyes already, so it's brings me strength seeing your spirit live on in her. You were the most amazing mother to Willow and be all promise to give her the courage to get through this, without you. But for now baby girl, we lay you to rest, we let you go, we remember everything about you, we carry it with us forever, and I love you so much."

As Kaseys mother stood down from the microphone stand whispers filled the back of the hall. Rumours confirmed.

Kasey was a mother.

Willow, the child on Harrys lap, so he said was her niece, was in fact her daughter.

My eyes darted between all the students talking amongst themselves, then down to Harry who was staring back at me in shock.

The colour has drained from his face as his ghost eyes were fixed on me, frozen staring back at him.

My eyes move from his to the little girl sitting on his lap.

Then back to his eyes.

Eyes that right there and then have away every answer to questions I didn't even know I had yet.

My attention was brought back to the screen for when the memory lane photo slideshow began playing.

Showing photographs of her as a little girl, spitting image of the girl sitting with Harry. Photos from school, her pregnant, newborn Willow, but then the photos that rolled through of Kasey, Willow .... And Harry, brought the whispers back up around me.

I stare in disbelief. I didn't want to come to any conclusions. Not yet. Not here.

There could be 100 explanations. Surely.

As the service came to a close and we all started exiting the hall, I couldn't face anyone right now, not the boys, not Willow, not Kaseys mother, not even Harry. I wouldn't know what to say to any of them.

I found a nearby tree and lent my back up against it, taking the cigarette from my pocket and lighting it.

Kasey was a mother.
Willow was her daughter.
There's pictures with Harry.
He was protective over me seeing Kasey.
He was at Kaseys house.
Kasey was at his.
I was never allowed inside.
He told Kasey to stay in the car when she arrived.
Willow asked Harry for permission for food.
Willow had familiar eyes, eyes I have gazed into before.

Harry was Willows father.

I was sure of it.

"Lou?" His raspy voice breaks my train of thought as he approaches from behind me.

"Harry" I reply, taking a long drag of my cigarette, blowing the smoke into air above us.

" Thankyou for coming, I don't know you would -"

"You're a dad" I quickly cut him off addressing the obviously elephant in the room. And I didn't even ask it as a question. I feel like I knew already that I was right.

He looks me up and down, guilt washing over his entire face. He couldn't even admit it to me.

I wasn't hurt or angry, I was in shock. I'm sure the anger for keeping this from me would sink in eventually, but for now, I was just in shock.

"Daddy. I want to go home" a quite little voice comes from behind the two of us making both our heads turn to see Willow walking up from the hall.

Harry takes a hold of her hand and walks her over to me.

"Willow; this is Louis. Louis, this is my daughter, Willow"