IV

After they get our names into the database, they walk us to a ship. They shove all five of us into the back and I growl at the person who shoved me, whimpering right after. 

I sit down between Peter and Rocket. Peter gingerly places his hand on my head and rubs between my ears. 

"Are you okay?" he asks softly. 

I shake my head. "No. Like I said before, I think I have a concussion and all this shoving isn't making it any better." I wrap my tail around my waist and lean into Peter's side, closing my eyes. "I'm gonna try and go to sleep, wake me up when we get to wherever we're going." 

"Okay," Peter whispers, rubbing my back. 

I feel Rocket's eyes on me but I ignore them. For the first time in forever,  I don't have any nightmares of my past. 

~

I don't know how much time has passed, but I'm awoken by Peter softly rubbing my head. 

"We're here," he says. 

I groan but nonetheless sit up, stretching. The pain has subsided a little, but it's still mostly there. Once more, I feel Rocket's eyes on me. "If you have a problem with me, just say it," I growl so only he can hear. "If not, then I would appreciate it if you stopped fucking staring at me."

Rocket scoffs, grumbles something, and crosses his arms. 

Someone comes in a few seconds later and cuffs our hands. They make us stand in a single file line, Gamora in front, then Rocket, then me, then Peter, and finally Groot at the back. 

They guide us out of the transfer ship and into a walkway. 

"I guess most of the Nova Corps wanna uphold the laws," Rocket says, breaking the uncomfortable silence, "but these ones here, they're corrupt and cruel." Rocket chuckles. "But, hey, that's not my problem. I ain't gonna be here long. I've escaped 22 prisons. This one's no different. You're lucky the broad showed up because otherwise, me and Groot would be collecting that bounty right now, and you'd be getting drawn and quartered by Yondu and those Ravagers." 

"Do you ever stop talking?" I ask. "Or do you love to just hear yourself talk?"

Rocket scoffs. 

"I've had a lot of folks try to kill me over the years," Peter says. "I ain't about to be brought down by a tree and a talking raccoon." 

"Hold!" the guard in front of Gamora shouts, stopping us. 

"What's a raccoon?" Rocket asks. 

"'What's a raccoon?'"Peter repeats. "It's what you are, stupid." 

Gamora looks back at Peter, glancing down at me. I shrug lightly. Even though she tried to kill us, I like Gamora. She's a nice contrast to Peter, Peter is always talking, whether singing or actually talking. Gamora is quiet and I like quiet. Plus she's pretty. 

"Ain't no thing like me, except me," Rocket says, tapping his thumbs against his chest. 

"Yeah?" I ask. "What about me? I mean we're different species, sure, but I can still talk and walk. You just contradicted yourself there, bud." 

Rocket growls. "Shut up," he says. 

"Bite me," I growl. 

"So, this Orb has a real shiny blue suitcase, Ark of the Covenant, Maltese Falcon sort of vibe," Peter says. "What is it?"

"I am Groot."

"So what?" I say. "What's the Orb?" 

"I have no words for an honorless thief," Gamora answers. 

Ouch. 

"Pretty high and mighty coming from the lackey of a genocidal maniac," Rocket says. 

Gamora looks back, shock, and I think a little bit of hurt, is etched on her face. 

"Yeah, I know who you are," Rocket continues. "Anyone who's anyone knows who you are."

"Yeah, we know who you are," Peter lies. He turns to Groot behind him. "Who is she?"