VI

The next day, all five of us are standing in line to get food. I cringe when the lady drops a spoonful of this gray substance on my plate. Yeah, I am not eating that. 

"If we're going to get out of here," Rocket says, leading us to a table, "we're going to need to get into that watchtower."

He nods his head towards the tower in the middle of the prison. It's about twenty feet tall with a dome-like structure on top, windows wrapping around the entire outside. 

"And to do that, I'm gonna need a few things," Rocket continues. "The guards wear security bands to control their ins and outs. I need one."

"Leave it to me," Gamora says. 

"That dude, there." Rocket gestures to a man walking by with a prosthetic. "I need his prosthetic leg." 

"His leg?" I question, looking over to the raccoon. 

"Yeah," Rocket confirms. "God knows I don't need the rest of him. Look at him, he's useless."

I shake my head. "You are one mean guy."

Rocket just shrugs. "Maybe, maybe not," he says, chuckling. "And finally, on the wall back there is a black panel. Blinky yellow light. Do you see it?"

We reach a table and we all sit down. Rocket with his back towards the watch tower, Peter on his right, Gamora on his left, and me sitting beside Rocket. Groot stands off to the side. 

I turn around and nod, confirming that I do indeed see the light."Yeah," I say, turning back around. "What's behind it?"

"A quarnyx battery," Rocket answers. "Purplish box, green wires. To get into the watch tower, I definitely need it."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Gamora asks. 

"Well, supposedly, these bald bodies find you attractive," Rocket answers. "So, maybe you can work out some sort of trade."

I scrunch my face up. "You must be joking," I grimace. 

Rocket shakes his head. "No, I really heard they find her attractive."

"Look," Peter interrupts, "it's twenty feet up in the air, and it's in the middle of the most heavily guarded part of the prison. It's impossible to get up there without being seen."

"I got one plan and that plan requires a frickin quarnyx battery, so figure it out!" Rocket yells. "Can I get back to it? Thanks. Now, this is important. Once the battery is removed, everything is gonna slam into emergency mode. Once we have it, we gotta move quickly, so you definitely need to get that last."

As if on cue, the entire prison goes into emergency mode. An alarm blares and I look around and see that Groot has pulled the battery out and is holding it in his hand. Well, fuck.

"Or we could just get it first and improvise," Rocket says.

"I'll get the armband," Gamora says. 

"Leg," Peter grumbles before running off. 

Beside me, Rocket groans and rubs his eyes. 

"Prison," the watchtower guard says over the intercom, "drop the device immediately and retreat to your cell, or we will open fire." 

"I am Groot!" 

"Fire!" the guard orders. 

I grab Rocket's hand and drop to all fours, running to Groot. "C'mon!" I shout, dodging the ricochetting bullets. 

"Why didn't you go with Quill?" Rocket shouts. 

"I figured you'd need my help!" I shout back. 

"All prisoners return to your sleeping areas!"