IX

Maria's pov

-

"listen, i could care less whether you live or whether you die." peter says,

we were currently heading back to our cells after the stupid stun peter pulled in the showers.

"then why stop the big guy?" gamora asks, spinning around to face peter.

"simple," peter says, "you know where to sell my orb."

"our orb." i cough.

"how are we gonna sell it when we and it are still here?" gamora is asking the question we were all thinking.

peter gestures to rocket. "my friend rocket, here, has escaped 22 prisons."

"oh, we're getting out." he says. "and then we're headed straight to yondu to retrieve your bounty."

"how much was your buyer willing to pay you for that orb?" i ask gamora.

"four billion units." she answers.

"what?!"

"holy shit."

"damn."

"that orb is my opportunity to get away from thanos and ronan." gamora informs. "if you free us, i'll lead you to the buyer directly and i'll split the profit between the four of us."

"i am groot."

"five of us." rocket corrects. "asleep for the danger, awake for the money. as per fricken' usual."

groot groans and i snicker.

-

"if we're going to get out of here, we're gonna need to get into that watchtower." rocker informs us the next morning while we're getting our... food? "and to do that i'm gonna need a few things. the guards wear security bands to control their ins and outs. i need one."

"leave it to me." gamora says.

"that dude there, i need his prosthetic leg."

i raise a brow. "his leg?" i ask.

"yeah. god know i don't need the rest of him. look at him, he's useless."

"alright." peter says.

"and finally, on the wall back there is a black panel. blinky yellow light." rocket says. "do you see it?"

"yeah."

"there's a quarnyx battery behind it. purplish box, green wires." rocket tells us. "to get into that watchtower i definitely need it."

"how are we supposed to do that?" gamora asks.

"well, supposedly, these bald-bodies find you attractive. so maybe you can work out some sort of trade."

i laugh at gamora's face but cover it up with a cough. out of the corner of my eye, i notice groot heading towards the middle. 'oh shit.' i think but i don't say anything knowing that peter will just probably brush me off.

"you must be joking." gamora says.

"no, i really heard they find you attractive." rocket says.

"look, it's twenty feet up in the air and it's in the middle of the most heavily guarded part of the prison. it's impossible to get up there without being seen." peter observes.

thank you so much for you much needed insight, captain obvious.

"i got one plan, and that plan requires a fricken' quarnrnyx battery, so figure it out." rocket yells at the end. "can i get back to it?" he asks. "thanks. now, this is important. once the battery is removed, everything is gonna slam into emergency mode. once we have it, we gotta move quickly, so you definitely need to get that last."

and, almost as if he jinxed it, the prison went into emergency mode, with the lights flashing and the alarms blaring.

"or we could just get it first and improvise."

"i'll get the armband."

"leg."

and with that, rocket and i are left alone at the table.

rocket groans and rubs his face. i chuckle.
-
i think the next book i'll be writing is a newt x reader from the maze runner movies. and the reader will be poc, specifically hispanic.

anyway, i have to say, the rockie mountains are really pretty.