Chapter 16

I sat in my room in silence for a few minutes. I can't believe it. They saw me again. But do they even know what happened? Do they think I'm just a lifer on stage? Or do they know I'm a ghost? I'm sure they'll figure it out sooner or later. I look at the time and notice something right away. Today is a big day for Luke. Oh my gosh, I have to go see him! I know I'm going to get caught sooner or later, but it's worth it. All I want to do in my ghost life is see my family again. 

I grab my foundation and put some on my arm. I don't want to ruin Luke's birthday by telling him about the stamp. Especially because he doesn't have one. And I don't want him to fear that he will get one. Or even worse, I don't want him to go after Caleb and get hurt. I spray setting spray on it to make sure it stays on. I sigh before teleporting out. Here goes nothing.

I finally arrive at my parents house. Luke has got to be here. He felt awful for leaving on bad terms. Plus, maybe they actually do remember. I head inside and find my parents sitting at the dinner table. The timer rings and my father walks to the kitchen. He comes back out with a birthday cake. I look around for Luke but am unlucky to find him. I sit by them both and stare at the cake. Gosh, I remember when we used to have the biggest birthday parties ever.

We would play tag, hide and seek, or some type of sport. Then we'd open gifts and would make the best reactions to them all. And finally, the cake. I'd remember we'd have cake battles every year. We'd smash cake in each other's faces. Then our parents would get upset because we made a mess. But it was all worth it.

I look to both of my parents with a small smile. I wipe the tears off of my face as I look back to those memories. All of a sudden, I hear a noise coming from the front door. I turn around and start tearing up again. There he is. The birthday boy himself.

"E-Emma?" Luke whispers.

"Happy Birthday Luke." I say back. He walks over to the table slowly and looks down at the cake.

"You remembered?" He asks.

"Of course. How would I forget the best person in the world being born on this day?" I ask.

"I-I can't believe it. You don't know how long I've been waiting to finally see you again!" He picks me up and gives the tightest hug ever. 

"I missed you too!" I laugh. He puts me down as our parents light his candles. "It's all yours, brother." He closes his eyes then blows the candles out.

"Thank you. That meant a lot to me." He says with tears forming in his eyes.

"Anything for you, Luke." I say. "Come on, let's go for a walk. It's been a while since we've talked." He nods his head and walks out the front door with me.

"Wait, how can you see me?" He asks.

"With my eyes being open." I chuckle.

"That's not what I meant. I mean, I'm not exactly alive. I'm a ghost now. So, how is that possible?" 

"Magic, I guess." I say with jazz hands.

"Wait, so you're a lifer still, right?"

"Yeah." I lie. "Yeah, I am."

"So then how- you know what? It doesn't matter! I'm just glad I get to see you again!" He pulls me in for a hug. Thank god he didn't figure it out. I can't tell him the truth. Not yet. I don't want him to join the club just because I did.

"I'm glad to see you too." I say.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you! I loved your performance today!"

"Thanks. That was the first song I wrote since I became- I mean, since you left." 

"How come you feel invisible, though? Did someone hurt you while I was gone?" He asks.

Yes.

"No. It was just never the same without you. I kind of just felt left out since you were gone." I explain.

"I'm sorry. But just remember, you are important. I would not be where I am today if it weren't for you. I mean- Not dead, but-"

"I get what you mean, Luke." I chuckle. "Thanks, that means a lot." I notice him looking down all of a sudden. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, I just noticed something on your arm. Here let me get that off." He grabs his shirt and puts it on my arm.

"Luke, it's fine! Really it's-" But it was too late. He saw the stamp.

"What's this?" He asks.

"It's, um, a tattoo! There was a band I listened to while you're gone. And their music helped me get through the tough times." I say nervously.

"But it looks a lot like-"

"It's just from an old band! I promise!" I yell.

"Alright?" He says confusingly.

"Sorry, I just- It's been hard without you. And it took a lot of effort to even get me back to music."

"I know, I wish I would have never ate that hot dog." He sighs.

"It's not your fault." I say. I look at the time and realize I need to be back. "Anyways, I have to go!"

"Wait, Emma!" He shouts. I turn around and look at him. "Umm, I know it's not my business. But why were you at that ghost club?"

"Oh, yeah! About that... I was asked by him to sing a couple of gigs because they were short on staff." I lie.

"That's why he asked us to join-"

"He doesn't need anyone now! He actually found some new members. Sorry, I forgot he wanted me to tell you that."

"Whew, that's a relief. I was worried that I'd have to join the band. No offense! I just-"

"No no no! It's fine! I get where you're coming from." I say.

"Okay, well you should go. I don't want to get you late to whatever."

"Right, see you later!" He gives me one last hug then teleports away. 

That was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Lie to my brother. If it weren't for me being in this club, we wouldn't be here in the first place. I couldn't even admit I'm a ghost! I just don't want to risk anything. But lying feels just as bad. I should have told Caleb no. I should have found out my unfinished business. Now, I'm stuck here forever. And part of that struggle is trying to not get caught seeing my old bandmates.