Chapter 24

I was lucky enough to leave the club to talk to Luke. Caleb finally let me leave for once without getting in trouble. But that was only so I could tell Luke everything. I arrive at Julie's house and enter the studio.

"Hey Emma!" Alex says. Julie looks up and smiles.

"Oh my gosh! I finally get to see you! Hi! I'm-"

"Julie. I know. I am actually your mom's best friend. And I promised I'd look out for you." I say.

"Wow! So are you a ghost too?" She asks.

"Yeah. I'm also Luke's sister, if he's ever mentioned me."

"Oh yeah. He talks about you all of the time!" She says.

"Really? That's amazing. So where is he now?" I ask.

"He's at the front of my house."

"Awesome, thanks." I teleport over to the front of the house. Luke looks up with a shocked face.

"Emma!" Luke says.

"Hey." I say.

"Hey! I was worried about you!" He runs over to give me a hug.

"Why is that?" I ask.

"I didn't know if Caleb would do anything terrible or not. Speaking of, I wanted to talk to you about something." Oh no. This is not a good sign.

"Okay?"

"I think I know how to get you out of the club." My eyes widen as he says that. There's no possible way.

"Wh- How?" I ask.

"Maybe I can try to convince Caleb to let you go and I'll join the band." He says.

"B-But Luke you already have a band." I start to tear up.

"I know. But there's still Reggie, Alex, and Julie. Maybe you could even take my role." He offers.

"L-Luke I can't." I sigh.

"Why not?" He asks.

"It's too late. You can't take the position anymore." I say.

"What do you mean-"

"I already offered a deal." I admit.

"E-Emma. Why would you-"

"I don't want you to have to be controlled anymore. I made a deal with Caleb and he accepted." I explain.

"Which is?" He asks.

"If he lets you guys go, I will be the lead singer again. And I'll continue to work with him-"

"No. I can't let you do this." He interrupts.

"I have no choice Luke." I sigh.

"Yes you do! I'm going over there right now-"

"Luke!" I yell.

"What?!" He yells back.

"You can't change anything. It's too late for that. If you do, something terrible could happen." I whisper.

"Like?" He asks.

"He could destroy you... or even me. And I don't want that to happen. I'm taking this role." I say.

"Wait, but that means he'll take the stamp off right?" He asks.

"That's the only cost so far. He won't take the stamp off. He doesn't trust me enough." I sigh.

"Why would you do this?!" He asks.

"Because I don't want to lose you!" I yell.

"And I don't want to lose you! I never had the time to actually spend time with you. I don't want that going away now!" He yells.

"I'm sorry Luke. I have to do this. Go, enjoy your ghost life. I might see you again, I might not. If not, then I'll see you on the other side." I say as I turn around.

"Emma-"

"I have to go. I love you." I say.

"I-I love you too." I then walk away and get ready to teleport out. I stop as soon as I see Reggie in the backyard. I look over and see what he is doing. He's got a guitar in his hands. Huh, must be getting ready to sing a song. I'm sure I could listen to that before I go.

"When somebody loved me

Everything was beautiful

Every hour spent together

Lives within my heart

And when she was sad

I was there to dry her tears

And when was happy so was I

When she loved me

Through the summer and the fall

We had each other, that was all

Just she and I together

Like it was meant to be

And when she was lonely

I was there to comfort her

And I knew that she loved me

So the years went by

I stayed the same

But she began to drift away

I was left alone

Still I waited for the day

When she'd say, "I will always love you"

Lonely and forgotten

Never thought she'd look my way

And she smiled at me and held me

Just like she used to do

Like she loved me

When she loved me

When somebody loved me

Everything was beautiful

Every hour spent together

Lives within my heart

When she loved me"

Oh my gosh. I never thought he loved me that much. If only I could feel the same. I wish I could be with him. But I can't risk anything. I teleport to the club as fast as possible. I couldn't stay there any longer.

I already broke Luke's heart by explaining the deal. I can't break someone's heart who's in love with me.

And I can't break mine by telling him the complete truth then leave him.