Chapter Twenty-One

When I woke up the next day in my mother's museum-esque room, there was no denying that I'd slept better than I had in months. Perhaps it was because I had worked out years of struggle with my missing parent. Or, maybe it was just the fact that I wasn't sleeping on marble anymore. It was incredible what a mattress could do in terms of feeling well-rested. Even when it was super old and was in dire need of being replaced. Still.

        I got up, stretching my arms, and giving a little yawn. So I was still a bit tired. Fair. One night of comfort wasn't going to erase all of the time I'd spent living in a dungeon. I had a feeling the dull ache in my bones and general lack of common courtesy would be staying for a while. Not like I hadn't been horrible at socializing for the past eleven years of my life. It was eleven at this point, yes?

        It was hard to tell. I hadn't even thought to check a calendar when I'd finally been let out. Given how much time had passed, which I only knew had felt like a lot, it almost seemed certain. Had winter come and gone? Or was it only autumn? No, that couldn't be right. It had to be spring at this point. The battle of New York had taken place more than just a few months ago. God, it seemed so far away now. 

       As I stood, returning the book I'd moved the previous night to its original location, I gave my clothes a little sniff. Ugh, I absolutely reeked. How Raul and Skadi hadn't complained at dinner, I didn't know. Though, I was sure they'd have managed to put up with it for reasons other than the goodness of their own heart. Anyway, I definitely needed to change, but I wasn't about to take something without permission. So unlike me, I know. Perhaps I'd learned a thing or two while being locked up.

        Not wanting to head downstairs as such, I decided to reach out to Raul telepathically. It was a bit of magic I hadn't used frequently and was still a bit iffy at times, but as with so many of my lessons, the general idea had come effortlessly. And, with a bit of focus, I could even tell that he was already sitting at the dining room table. I slipped into his mind, relaying the question I wanted to be answered.

        Good morning. Would you mind me borrowing some clothes of Eira's? Just for the moment, and I'll make sure to bring them back at some point if it bothers you guys too much.

        I could sense that he'd managed to keep his composure as my voice rang in his head. Impressive, given I knew that I would have jumped in fright and shock the first time someone did the same to me. He even responded with ease, leading me to believe this wasn't his first time dealing with this sort of magic.

        Of course. Take whatever you need. At some point, Skadi and I are going to need to stop clinging on to the past. He coughed slightly. In his thoughts, though, which was weird, to say the least. There's also a visitor here to see you when you're ready to come down. I was debating waking you up.

        Someone had arrived to speak with me? I wasn't aware that anyone knew where I had run off to. Either Heimdall had shared my location with this person, or they just had good instinct. The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself I knew exactly who was down there waiting for me.

        I tried to be as delicate as possible going through the drawers of untouched garments that sat in a bureau on the opposite side of the bed, far from the door. It was hard enough finding something that would fit, never mind finding something I would feel comfortable wearing. My mother didn't appear to share the same color scheme I so frequently chose. That's how I ended up in a fitted blue tunic and light brown riding pants. I swapped out my worn-out flats for mud-colored boots as well. It was certainly. . . different.

        There was no laundry hamper in the room, so I neatly folded my discarded attire for someone else to deal with later. After taking care of the rest of my business, it was finally time for my descent. I was really wishing my assumption from earlier would be disproved as I peered my head around the corner and through the railing of the staircase. Alas, to no avail. Sitting across the table from Raul was my father dressed as elegantly as ever, hair gelled back at the top.