Prologue

Once upon a time, there was a prince. His biggest dream was to become the king of his home, Asgard. It sounds super easy, right? He's prince; he automatically becomes king. Well, he had some competition. His brother, Thor, was a charmer. He charmed his father, mother, other kids, and when he was older, other ladies.

        Drabbed in black and green, the prince would try to become better than his brother. Unfortunately, his best ideas involved trickery and lies, what he excelled at, but others looked down upon. Even as a child, he dug himself a deep grave, destroying his reputation. The only one that still cared about him was his mother.

        His mother taught him all the magic she knew from duplicating himself, to creating illusions. She helped him become the man you know today. A murderer, crazed, self-absorbed fool who ruined his life for a crown, but there was a moment in his life when he could have avoided this fate when he met Eira.

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

        In a tiny house on the edge of Asgard, lived a young lady by the name Eira Raulsdóttir. Her curly, brown hair was bouncing up and down on her shoulders in excitement as her parents told her they were going to see the royal family. She'd always wanted to see Odin and Frigga, the king and queen, but their other son Loki, who was known for his mischief intrigued her.

        The next day, they began their walk to the palace. When they arrived, the trio was overwhelmed by the towering gold spires reaching into the sky. From every angle, they shined and glistened. Eira was overjoyed and even though she wanted to be here, was anxious to get back home and tell all her friends. However, she was in for a surprise when her parents alerted her to the real reason why they were here.

        A ball had been scheduled for that night, in the hopes that the two princes would try to find someone to court. Everyone was bound to be going after Thor, but her parents knew she had feelings for Loki, even if she had to hide them to avoid being teased. No one liked the prince that was obsessed with the throne, at least that's what the royal family thought.

        Eira's parents weren't wealthy, but they were willing to do anything for their daughter. They bought her a black dress that shimmered in the moonlight with a slit by her right knee. Her mother urged her to put make-up on, claiming it would enhance her look and make her seem more appealing, but Eira objected. She asked what the point of someone liking her for her appearance was; she cared more about personality.

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

        Loki was sulking in the corner of the ballroom. He was certain that every lady of Asgard had come, and they were all trying to get Thor's attention. A girl about his age came up beside him, glancing at him with her soft brown eyes.

        "Why aren't you trying to get a piece of all the action?" she asked, looking over to the mob of people surrounding the God of Thunder.

        "Why aren't you over there with the rest of them?" Loki jeered.

        "He's not my type. I prefer someone a little quieter? I don't know, being deaf for the rest of my life just so I can call myself his? The cons outweigh the pros."

        "You're probably the only one here who thinks that," he scoffed, laughing a little. He enjoyed the fact that someone other than himself was belittling his brother. "But I don't believe you."

        Loki turned to the girl, eyeing her black dress. His emerald eyes gleamed in the light of the ballroom, and she looked him in the face.