Chapter Two

My face was shoved into a book as I sat on my bed. For my tenth birthday my parents, Emma and Phillip Edwards, had gotten me Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology and I honestly didn't know how many times I had read it. My favorite story had to have been the time where Thor and Loki pretended to be women in order to get Thor's hammer back; I smiled each time I got to that part.

        And so, if I had to pick a favorite god out of all the ones there are, I'd have to go with Loki. Yes, he's the God of Mischief and Lies, but does that not truly describe who I am as a person. He's the only one in the myths I can relate to, especially with all the pranks and tricks I've pulled off. So, you could only imagine how excited and shocked I was when I heard he was trying to take over the Earth.

        I had been watching the news like crazy when I figured out he was failing miserably. That's why I had decided to spend my time after school yesterday writing a list titled 10 Tips and Tricks for World Domination, and it went as so:

1 - Ease your way into society. It's easier to gain trust if you act like everyone else.

2 - Don't use mind control. Allow people to agree with your ideas, and you'll slowly gain support

3 - Stay away from the Avengers. They will likely defeat you with no problem.

4 - Dressing like an Asgardian will make you stand out. Dress like a 'Midgardian,' and you'll have less trouble.

5 - Take your time. Rome wasn't built in a day!

6 - Attacking innocent people or even threatening them is looked down upon, so refrain from doing so.

7 - Perhaps hold a conference for other people to express their opinions, and then tailor your platform to their needs

8 - If someone claims you are an unfit ruler, feel free to get rid of them, but quietly. No one wants bad publicity.

9 - Feel free to lie your way to ruler, but make sure no one finds out. It will cause more harm than good.

10 - Finally, be yourself. I know this technically goes against rules number 4 and 9, but believe me, it's important to do so in order to dominate the world successfully.

        I was hoping that at some point I'd have a chance to give this list to the God of Mischief himself, but unfortunately, he hadn't come to New York yet. Honestly, I was willing to travel to a neighboring state if he arrived; I wasn't worried that he'd kill me. But, I'd been waiting in my bedroom, reading. Nothing exciting had happened since Thor appeared in New Mexico last year. That was until I looked up from my book to see a portal opening in the sky.

        He's here! I thought excitedly. Change of plans. Dropping my novel to grab my list, I ran into the living room. My parents were in the kitchen chatting when a rumble hit the apartment.

        "Where's the remote?" I asked, throwing pillows off the couch. "I gotta check the news."

        "On the TV stand," my mom responded with a look of concern on her face.

        She had wavy brown hair that went to her shoulders, her blue eyes dull. It was evident that a lot of stress was put on her dealing with my craziness every day by the lines etched upon her face. My dad had snaked his hands around her waist when the mini earthquake hit, looking her over with his brown eyes, his dirty blond hair spiking up. I probably would have figured out I was adopted before they told me just based on appearance, and that's most likely why they explained my situation to me at such a young age.