Chapter Nine

After having witnessed the incredible feats of magic Frigga could perform last night, I was determined to learn as many spells and tricks as I possibly could. I just hadn't realized how absolutely tiring doing so would be.

        "We should start slow." Frigga's soothing voice echoed only slightly in her chambers. "Magic in Asgard is all based around the mind. The stronger you are internally, the stronger your spells will be. I think the easiest thing we can begin with would be illusions."

        "Is it possible for me to already know how to do that?"

        She studied me, inquisitively. "As a Midgardian? Did someone teach you?"

        "Well, no, but I've been able to copy myself before. I call my double Summer. It's almost like we're two different people, though. She speaks and acts for herself."

        "Do you think you could show me?"

        I nodded and then focused inward. All I needed to do was think about her showing up and—

        "Hiya, Winter! What can I help you with?" Summer had appeared beside me, and I was almost sad she didn't still have long hair. For all the good it had done me chopping it off, it still felt off. I was used to having a lot more weighing down my head.

        "I'd like to introduce you to Frigga." I motioned over to the Queen. "Frigga, this is Summer."

        Summer's eyes shone in excitement. "Nice to meet ya, Frigga."

        "And you as well, Summer." She went to shake Summer's hand, and so I concentrated on making it real.

        Frigga smiled before dipping her head toward me. I took that as a cue to get rid of my twin. It was a couple moments before she spoke again. She seemed to be rooted in thought. Had I done something wrong?

        "She's not exactly an illusion. I see why you might think that, however." Frigga chuckled awkwardly. "It seems as though you are more trained than I imagined. That was a separation of conscience. Do you find that you act differently whenever you do that?"

        "Normally, I'm a little more of a jerk. Sometimes I get violent. I'm not exactly a fan of letting her loose when I know things might get messy. But, so, you're saying that I'm putting part of my mind into a person who's not even there? How is that possible?"

        "It takes a lot of practice, which you seem to have. I feel sort of foolish putting you through the basics if you already know so much."

        I jerked forward. "No, no. I could use some basics. Honestly, I don't have a clue how to do anything else. Could we perhaps start with normal illusions?"

        "Of course." She leaned over the table between us and laid her hands upon it. "As I said, everything I teach you is directly from your mind. Without conscious effort, nothing will happen. Specifically, with illusions, you have to believe that whatever you create actually exists. Why not start with something small? I want you to imagine that you're holding a flower."

        "Any type in particular?"

        "It doesn't matter to me. Just tell yourself it's in your hand and concentrate. Imagine what it feels like, what it looks like. Even what it smells like. Painting a picture in your head will help make it appear more realistic."

        I tried to do just that. Thinking back to my time on Earth, I remembered the lilies my mother, or, well, adoptive mother, used to have sitting on the windowsill in the kitchen. Their petals had a light purplish hue that lightened to white in the center. The stems would be cut short to maximize space, and there was always a little bit of fuzz to them. From the middle of the flower, the seeds would pop out, dangling into the room. And the scent. They'd been so sweet. Phillip had hated them and had gone to throw them out once. Emma convinced him otherwise.