Chapter Eighteen

"Is this how things are going to be for, like, the rest of your life?" A familiar voice asked, waking me from my sleep. "'Cause this is getting super annoying?"

        I rubbed my eyes, trying to bring myself to attention. When did I get a new cellmate? My side ached from falling off of the stupid marble slab they dared called a bed and I was quite sure I could sense the beginning of a headache. Today was shaping up to be another bout of hell.

        As my surroundings cleared up, I noticed myself sitting across from me, criss-cross applesauce.

        "Summer?" I asked.

        I groaned internally. The last time I had spoken with her was during my training with Frigga. She had been just as obnoxiously cheerful as she had been on Earth when we spoke previously. The thing was, I had never separated her from my mind unconsciously before. Plus, she had never sounded like such an annoyed teenager. Oh my gosh. Was that what I sounded like?

        "I don't recall there being anyone else who was, like, your exact twin. So, yeah, duh."

        The amount of 'likes' was becoming increasingly tiresome and I was about ready to stuff her back into my head when I finally processed her question from earlier, becoming defensive in an instant.

        "I'm sorry, do you think that I choose to be living in isolation? Because, I didn't and I pretty sure that you were there for the whole murder framing thing and all. And, why do you get to question all my life decisions now? Not as though this was one of course."

        Her head drooped and she began to laugh. She'd been going on for almost thirty seconds when I finally told her to shut up.

        "Sorry, sorry. I just," A chuckle escaped her lips, causing her hand to flit to her mouth. "I'm you, right? So, why wouldn't I get to question your choices? They're mine too you know. But, hey, it's good that we're finally getting the chance to talk about these things. Freedom of speech was starting to become an issue. Do you think you have the time to go over a quick proposition of mine?"

        Stuffing my hands in my face, I said, "Summeeeer." Really letting the end of her name drag out in frustration. "I don't know where you stand on the whole issue of getting a full eight hours of sleep, but I am personally a fan on the matter, so if you could just step back for the moment and give me maybe two more—"

        "No."

        "No?"

        "No."

        "Remind me why I'm even bothering to ask you? You know what, say goodbye to your temporal form my friend, because if this is what I'm gonna have to deal with. . ."

        I tried to force her to leave, urging her to fill the gap in my brain, but she didn't move. I mean, she didn't even fizzle or pulse in or out of existence. This could be a problem.

        Summer stood, crossing her arms. "This is an intervention my friend, and there is no way out of it. You are not stuffing me back into that crummy little void so I can watch you make the same poor decisions day in and day out."

        "Okay. When you're done will you go back where you belong, though? If you drag this out too long who knows what will happen. A lop-sided conscience can make a girl do crazy things, Summer. You've seen the crazy yourself."

        "Oh, I've seen the crazy." She began pacing back and forth. "I've seen you kick your adoptive parents to the curb, pull unnecessary pranks, purposefully cast yourself out from others, get yourself locked up, — and we can debate as to who's fault that truly is — and most recently, begun planning an assassination. Do any of those sound like healthy life choices to you?"