Chapter Eleven

I stared at the balcony. It was so bright outside, and the wind seemed to be calling my name. My head was pounding from a lack of sleep. Worried that Odin would discover my little trick to see Loki, I hadn't even had the chance to dream. Every moment was spent staring at the doors to my chamber, panicking. What would I do if he barged in and decided I be executed for treason? He was the king. There was no one to stop him, especially if he came so late at night. I could have disappeared without a trace. Was there anyone here who would notice my absence?

        "Winter?" My attention focused back to Frigga. I'd met with her once more in her chambers. Odin still didn't know about our visits. Not yet, at least. "Is there something clouding your mind? You know, you can tell me if anything is bothering you."

        A sigh escaped my lips. "I know. It's just. . . I feel like I'd make things worse if I started talking about it. I don't feel like getting in trouble today."

        "How uncharacteristic of you. Surely you're bothered if you don't want to cause even the slightest bit of mayhem." She placed a hand on top of my own. I hadn't noticed how sweaty my palms were. I hoped she didn't either. "No one's going to tell on you. I promise."

        The way she looked in my eyes, I could feel all of my anxiety fading away. Frigga was such an incredible person. Thor and Loki should be eternally grateful for the mother they have. I know I would be.

        "I visited the dungeons yesterday by impersonating Odin and granting myself access. Please, please, please don't tell him. He's sure to figure it out for himself at some point. I just don't exactly feel like rushing that process."

        "There are easier and less dangerous ways to traverse that prison. Trust me." Glancing away for a moment, I was sure she was trying to hide her emotions. Had she already gone to see her son?

        My mind quickly jumped to another question; One I was hoping she'd be able to answer. "Why does your husband hate Loki so much? I listened in on the trial yesterday and. . ." Was there anything else to say?

        "I believe he sees Loki as a threat to everything he stands for. He doesn't like people going against his will, and he certainly doesn't care for the violence Loki showed on Midgard. Still, I don't believe he was just in giving our son such a sentence."

        "Oh." That was the only word I could get out of my mouth. I was pretty sure my panic levels had risen to an all-time maximum. 

        "But these aren't the sort of things we need to be discussing. Now, why don't we—"

        A knock resounded from the door. I almost flung myself under the table in fear that the All-Father had come to punish me. It seemed plausible that he could have been eavesdropping on our conversation. Maybe Frigga had lied to me and told him telepathically or something. I don't know, these were gods I was dealing with. Though, that didn't seem like something she'd do. Especially since she'd promised me secrecy. So, who was at the door?

        "No need to worry. I'd almost forgotten that I'd asked a friend to come over. Winter I'd like you to meet. . ." She pulled on the handle, revealing a woman in a suit of armor akin to a dress. Further inspection led to me recalling her as— "Lady Sif."

        "We've met," was all the warrior said. She wasn't lying.

        "I hope you don't mind, but I thought that if you were serious about all this training that you might want to learn some combat. It never hurts to have a few tricks up your sleeve." Frigga sent me one of her radiating smiles. Gosh, how I loved this woman.

        "Of course!" I exclaimed. "I'm all for self-defense." The number of sticky situations I would be able to get out of with this knowledge, totally worth it.